Zener Diode VS voltage divider VS DCDC converter VS voltage regulater

Hello

When a person wishes to convert from one voltage to another (say for example DC 12v to 9v) several things come to his\her mind , whether to use voltage divider circuit, zener diode circuit, IC voltage regulater circuit or DC\Dc converter ?

Dear crazyengineers what do you think each circuit advantage over the other ? most cases shows that people would go for IC voltage regulater

In my modest experience,

Voltage divider wont be sufficient because the voltage output fluctuate when Ps changes , plus Resistors will require high values and will dissipate alot of heat (loss of unwanted energy) and will draw alot of current from power source which will weaken the battery lifecycle

Zener diode, is temperature sensitive which will effect its voltage regulation, plus it draws 0.6v from the power supply to operate and that will cause some certain voltage drop

Voltage regulater IC are two types , one is linear another is switch regulater
i never used switch regulater and have no idea about it
considering linear regulater it contains the two previous circuits in the chip, plus it has a temperature switch in order to switch it off when it exceeds its temperature limit, while a heat-sink will be recommended to use to cool down the voltage regulater, in order it operates for longer period

DCDC converter can have the advantage that some has the option of having galvanic separation in it, it is able to connect two circuits together which functions in different polarities without one circuit affecting the other circuit in means of causing noize

Crazyengineers correct me if i had made a mistake up there and add what you know guys , and to make it clear, my question what makes each circuit applicable for certain applications , what advantages one on another

big ups

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Good Information !
  • gargoor
    gargoor
    godfather :
    thank you for passing by, though i would had been happier if you've replied me with extra info which you may had obtained during your practical approach or maybe also theoretical because the info i gave is weak , need more details
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    hey gargoor,

please give more explanation for DC-DC converters..........

by d way mostly VOLTAGE REGULATORS are used to keep the fixed voltage across the equipment..........
    as for voltages upto 10V IC's with voltage dropof 0.1V are available......
    and for voltages upto 25V IC'S with voltage drop of 0.5 are available..........

and for voltages above 25V, DC-DC Converters or Choppers are used due to their higher efficiency..............

Regards,
    VIPUL

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hai friends any one know full info about Juvenile Crime.
Hi My names jon and i am doing my final piece of my BSc product design course at the university of portsmouth. My concept idea for my course is to...
we have many expense tracking applications for laptops, I tried using one, but after few days i could not recollect all the minor expenses to update, thus showing incorrect details...
The Great Mind Challenge i.e. TGMC is listed in the Limca Book of Records as the largest technological contest for engineering students. The Great Mind Challenge (TGMC) is India's largest...
WORLDCOMP'11 - The 2011 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing Important Dates: January, 16, 2011 Proposals for organizing sessions/workshops March 10, 2011 Submission of draft papers...