Your Thoughts On Engineers' Day Celebration In India On 15th Sept 2015?

For the past 3-4 years we have been celebrating the Engineers' Day on CrazyEngineers through various discussions and contests. Every year on September 15th, India celebrates the "Engineer's Day" to commemorate the birthday of the legendary engineer Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya (1861-1962).

Who is Sir M. Visvesvaraya?
An engineer who worked relentlessly during the dawn of the 20th century in India to bring about engineering revolution. He is recognized internationally for his genius work in developing some of the biggest engineering projects in India. He has worked on the design and construction of several river dams, bridges and implementation of drinking water schemes & irrigation projects all over India.

In 1955, he has received the Bharat Ratna - Indian Republic's highest honour. In recognition of his numerous contributions to society, he was also knighted as a Commander of the British Indian Empire by King George V. He became the Dewan of Mysore State and is till date considered as "the architect" of the state of Karnataka's all-round development.

Some of his important projects works include -
  • Being the chief designer of the flood protection system for the city of Hyderabad.
  • Being the chief engineer for the construction of the Krishna Raja Sagara dam in Mysore.
  • Design and construction of the K.R. Sagar dam
  • Development of Brindavan Gardens
  • Turn-around of the Bhadravati Iron and Steel Works
  • Development of Mysore Sandalwood Oil Factory
  • Founding of the Bank of Mysore.
In his memory and honor, engineering colleges and schools across India will celebrate 'Engineers' Day' this year too on 15th September, 2015.

Here are some questions for CEans -

1. What are your thoughts on celebrating Engineers Day?
  2. How do you think engineers should celebrate this day?
  3. Do you think the importance of "Engineers' Day" is different that what it was 50 years back?
  4. What important contributions by engineers of the present day would you like to remember 50 years from now?
  5. How proud are you of being an engineer? What is the one thing you would like to do on this Engineers' Day?
  6. Lastly, ๐Ÿ˜ Will you be forwarding Engineers' Day SMS, messages on Whatsapp and posting Facebook status updated about how proud you are to be an engineer?
Share your thoughts in replies below.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    i remember that we conducted essay competition last year .its was a awesome experience
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew

What are your thoughts on celebrating Engineers Day?

As always. Feel good to 'fall' into this group/hash-tag/identity called 'Engineer'.

How do you think engineers should celebrate this day?
    Well since it's the year of 'BUCKET CHALLENGES' (Rice/Ice/Mice/Nice ๐Ÿ˜›). Let's do something like that, but with a good purpose, and with 'no' wastage of 'resources'.

Do you think the importance of "Engineers' Day" is different that what it was 50 years back?

Yes, but I am not sure how many of us take our value/real caliber seriously these days. Back then, there were only a few of us, so there was a huge respect. Now, it's like 'basic' education before 'finding-job' scenario. This should change. #-Link-Snipped-# sir can shed some light here.

What important contributions by engineers of the present day would you like to remember 50 years from now?

Many. They are stepping stones. A lot of innovation is taking place. And the excitement about what's in store for the future is just too intriguing...no words to describe!

How proud are you of being an engineer?

Typical Indian Concept: Greater the Pay Check, Greater the Pride!

What is the one thing you would like to do on this Engineers' Day?

Work smarter.

Lastly, ๐Ÿ˜ Will you be forwarding Engineers' Day SMS, messages on Whatsapp and posting Facebook status updated about how proud you are to be an engineer?

Yes, the ones I'd get from other Engineers. Not sure about making anything new by myself.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thank you for the awesome answers #-Link-Snipped-#
    This is turning out to be a small interview series of its own.

Asking #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# to be volunteers here. Please do answer the questions! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Ankita Katdare
    Asking #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# to be volunteers here. Please do answer the questions! ๐Ÿ˜€
    I am all game... Here I go first.
    • What are your thoughts on celebrating Engineers Day?
    • This day is being celebrated in order to respect a person who devoted his entire life all for betterment of society, as we all engineers do on the day to day basis. Always feel honored to celebrate the day with sense of joy and honor.
    • How do you think engineers should celebrate this day?
    • Have a sense of self pride in ourselves and as an engineer decide on something that can help the society in any tinniest way
    • Do you think the importance of "Engineers' Day" is different that what it was 50 years back?
    • Per me, Importance of the 'Engineers Day' was same always. It's the awareness for the day, that has increased over the years.
    • What important contributions by engineers of the present day would you like to remember 50 years from now?
    • EVERYTHING. Engineering has chance our life. Starting from alarm clock to mobiles to smartphones to laptop, to daily home appliances to product, manufacturing and WHAT NOT !!! Just because of Engineers, Our life has moved to next standard then, it was 50 years back.
    • How proud are you of being an engineer? What is the one thing you would like to do on this Engineers' Day?
    • Though I am not 'Engineer' by degree, but every human being has an engineer in self and am proud of being the one. I will spread the awareness for 'Engineers Day'
    • Lastly, ๐Ÿ˜ Will you be forwarding Engineers' Day SMS, messages on Whatsapp and posting Facebook status updated about how proud you are to be an engineer?
    • Absolutely. I am social media lover, and would definitely love to spread the word.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Ankita Katdare
    Thank you for the awesome answers #-Link-Snipped-#
    This is turning out to be a small interview series of its own.

OK, Here is mine !

What are your thoughts on celebrating Engineers Day?

I am thinking we must celebrate the Engineers Day by doing something innovative if not then at least do some stuff which really makes you proud engineer. I am thinking to start some project in my free time which can be helpful to our society. Something like Infra-Red sensor at society gate so in night time if anybody cuts it watchman gets alert.

How do you think engineers should celebrate this day?
    Come online on CE and take part in almost every new and old thread here. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Do you think the importance of "Engineers' Day" is different that what it was 50 years back?

Yes and No, Now a days Engineering term is loosing it's charm because quality of university and college is going down. Earlier 90% of engineers used to choose this line and their work was dedicated now a days it's more money oriented profession and that's why Engineers' Day is also loosing it's charm.

What important contributions by engineers of the present day would you like to remember 50 years from now?

All I can say right now is 3D Printer and BLE Gadgets.

How proud are you of being an engineer?

I am very much proud of being an engineer in the family where only few people having graduation. ๐Ÿ˜€

What is the one thing you would like to do on this Engineers' Day?

Work smarter. - I second #-Link-Snipped-#

Lastly, ๐Ÿ˜ Will you be forwarding Engineers' Day SMS, messages on Whatsapp and posting Facebook status updated about how proud you are to be an engineer?

There are only 10 types of people in the world:
    1) Those who understands this.
    2) Those who don't
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Anoop Mathew

Yes, but I am not sure how many of us take our value/real caliber seriously these days. Back then, there were only a few of us, so there was a huge respect. Now, it's like 'basic' education before 'finding-job' scenario. This should change. #-Link-Snipped-# sir can shed some light here.
    If you ask me it is only we who are to be blamed. Do we really respect ourselves as Engineers? Unless we have the passion and are true to being engineers on or off work we will be treated as 'hard hat' coolies.

As Anoop says, work smarter. Love being an engineer. You will also end up getting paid better, though you feel that the pay is a bonus. As the inimitable Mark Twain said,รข€œThe law of work seems unfair, but nothing can change it; the more enjoyment you get out of your work, the more money you will make.รข€
    There are 14 more quotes here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

I just love being an engineer albeit a CEan.

Though originally I wanted to become a physicist.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# to answer the same set of questions. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    1) It can be celebrated to remember the engineering greats who made our life so easy and filled with entertainment . Its a time to pay tribute to greats!!!
    2) if you want to celebrate the day - Make any contribution fruitful!
    3) There is definitely a change. To be honest, Engineers and engineering profession were not respected nowadays.
    4) Nanotechnology, 3d/4d printing.
    6) i will forward it to my friends. So CE team are you ready to create a master SMS?
    5) I am proud atleast as an CrAzY EnGiNeEr.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Superb answers by #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#

Loved these two quotes particularly from the link that Ramani shared -

When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bounds. Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction and you find yourself in a new, great and wonderful world.

Patanjali
    รข€œIf it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, go out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures. Sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well.รข€

Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Happy Engineers Day everyone! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Requesting all regular CEans to come forward and contribute your thoughts or answer the questions above.
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Ankita Katdare

Requesting all regular CEans to come forward and contribute your thoughts or answer the questions above.
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I would like to share the first post I had written on my blog- it is something I wrote just when I was about to embark on this immensely satisfying second act of engineering. I want to share this for the sake of all CEans who are at a stage in life where I was, a few years back. Hopefully, they can take some positives from my limited experience. As most of you have said, love being an engineer. I am sure I do, being one. To just be in love is sometimes not enough, be Crazy, be a Crazy Engineer- in the right sense of course. So here it is, hope you all enjoy reading:

Private Site
  • fayaz ahmed
    fayaz ahmed
    Today we conducted events such as brain tease,brain storm,quiz buzz&group discussion on engineering topic it is so exciting and useful..............
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# That's wonderful. What kinds of questions were asked in the Quiz Buzz & Brain storm? It's good to know that engineering students are celebrating the day in a good spirit.
  • Joy Gracia
    Joy Gracia
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
    1. What are your thoughts on celebrating Engineers Day?
    This is the very first time for me to know about a day called "engineers' day"...This thought gives me a feel of recognition in this society.......
    2.How do you think engineers should celebrate this day?
    The best way is to spread the fame of "engineers' day" to the engineers who are unaware(as i was once..)
    3.Do you think the importance of "Engineers' Day" is different that what it was 50 years back?
    ya...it's mainly because of the engineering colleges and universities which are academic oriented and not of research..
    4.What important contributions by engineers of the present day would you like to remember 50 years from now?
    can't mention a single product..there is a lot to list out...even im feeling comfortable with my co engineers' inventions and discoveries...
    5.How proud are you of being an engineer? What is the one thing you would like to do on this Engineers' Day?
    very proud to be a part of CEans' family..im going to message my friends about this beautiful day..
    6.Lastly, ๐Ÿ˜ Will you be forwarding Engineers' Day SMS, messages on Whatsapp and posting Facebook status updated about how proud you are to be an engineer?
    ya sure....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends... i am learning php development, so what topics are most useful for development in php?
I did my B.E in ECE but i do not find core job ,so i switched to electrical & instrumentation job ,as i find electrical jobs quite interesting so but...
I have this habit of delving deeper into seemingly unnecessary details. But to me, it has born more fruit than skimming over the smaller (seemingly unimportant) details. Here is a...
I have a question that which robot is better either wireless or wired pls help me. please provide me some information that how could i make my robot better for...
We performed a sitewide upgrade early this morning. The upgrade includes security, stability fixes and a new feature for everyone that removes the pain out of quoting messages in your...