Your Expectations From Your Career Are WRONG!

CrazyEngineers gets multiple career related queries every day and sometimes I get surprised that so many engineers are totally clueless about their career. I look at it like this: either they are unable to express their questions better (language restrictions, maybe) or they are in general clueless about taking steps towards their career.

I'm even surprised to see that people do not know what kind of career they'd like to have. When I ask this question - they say 'with MNC'; which basically is a summary of:
  • A high paying job (meaning few thousand rupees more than what their friends are earning)
  • A brand name company (something that your relatives can quickly recognise)
  • A few trips abroad ever year
  • No work pressure
  • Enough holidays
  • Regular promotions and not much competition
  • A caring boss
  • Extremely helpful colleagues who will happily share your work
  • Salary hikes that will make EMIs look like charity donation
I think everyone who wants to work for an 'MNC' has his/her mind extremely clear about these expectations from their career. Then they want others to hand pick a career for them that will give them all of the above.

...and then they want to know about 'certifications' that will guarantee a job with MNC. I really don't want to sound like I'm making fun by being sarcastic; but I really fail to get it. How do people even expect that others can provide magical solutions to problems that has so many variables that only an individual himself or herself can control?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Maybe Amir Khan said it all in 3 Idiots.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have a strong urge that we take people who land up in the career advice section through a series of FAQs. Sometimes, when they see it in black & white that they realise what next-level question they could ask. ☕
  • Bhavna k
    Bhavna k
    And sometimes we have to do a job that is not related to our interest and when we quit that job,for the job of our interest i.e development we are considered as Freshers..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Bhavna k
    And sometimes we have to do a job that is not related to our interest and when we quit that job,for the job of our interest i.e development we are considered as Freshers..
    It's absolutely okay to do a job that is not related to our interest. Not everyone in this world starts with their dream career. The key is to keep hunting and trying for the dream job. But you first have to know what your dream job is.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The company that proudly writes its motto as 'We're building a better Internet', Mozilla Corp has finally unveiled a preview of it browser Firefox for iOS users in New Zealand....
Good Afternoon all.. Could anybody please guide me about the course SOFTWARE TESTING?
OnePlus and Amazon have partnered to offer the existing and new users of OnePlus 2 phone about Rs. 500 worth of Kindle eBooks. In order to claim their book(s), the...
The TCS Reference ID or Number seems to be one of the top issues faced TCS NextStep portal users. We have been constantly receiving complaints about incorrect reference ID, lost...
There must be hordes of SciFi addicts here on CE. What is your take on this Hugo Award controversy? It is a loooooong blog. Read when there is time. https://www.wired.com/2015/08/won-science-fictions-hugo-awards-matters/?mbid=synd_moz_booksgen