Yahoo! Please build great products. We'll come.

I used to be a Yahoo fanboy. I remember the days when Yahoo did everything for me - Search, Email, Hosting, Chatting...just everything. I used to think Yahoo's got it all. But no more. I don't remember the last time I visited Yahoo's homepage. Now its Google all the way and I'm quite sure its true for most of you.

#-Link-Snipped-#Google entered with a bang of simplicity. The homepage with almost nothing but a search box, a logo and few links - did the job very well. It brought you the most relevant links for the entered keywords. When I got into setting up CrazyEngineers; I found out Google was very fast at its service. It indexed everything we put on the site, within just few hours and sometimes within just few minutes. It worked great for us and I bet for many other webmasters. That's the reason Google's taken all the lead.

Yahoo, over the past few months has sucked at innovation. A simple feature like embedded chat in mail took years to appear in Yahoo after it appeared in Google's Gmail. I was quick to set Gmail as my primary email then. No matter how tempted I am to compare Yahoo's and Google's products; I will compare only them as search engines.

Google takes a huge lead when it comes to displaying relevant search results. The keywords for which CrazyEngineers is ranked #1 on Google (expected) are nowhere in first 2 pages on Yahoo. The 'Page Rank' thing surely beats Yahoo's algorithm. However, instead of investing heavily in improving the quality of search results, Yahoo seems to be investing in advertising! It's said that Yahoo has sanctioned a budget of $100m for advertising! The latest advertisement from Yahoo Advertising takes a direct hit at Google:

Yahoo! Tile Video @ #-Link-Snipped-#

I think Yahoo should invest more in improving the quality of their products and also releasing new innovative products. We already know Yahoo and know how to go there. But ultimately if we aren't going to get the better value than Yahoo's rivals, we aren't going to stick to it.

But that is very obvious. What's your take on this? Express it in following thread on CE Forums:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Few days ago, Yahoo's advertising team published an advertisement indirectly criticizing Google of presenting users with a simple search page that does not talk back to you. While I personally...
CEans, We are happy to review Mr. Ajay Mohan Jain's debu novel, "Nothing Can Be As Crazy" about the curious ways of life in urban middle-class. The novel has figured...
CEan Prasad Ajinkya is joining CrazyEngineers VoiCE team as associate blogger. Prasad has been with CE for long time now and has been an exceptional contributor. You can read all...
Toyota's first retail hydrogen model, Toyota FCHV-adv is set to make a debut in 2015. Toyota is world's leading hybrid car maker and has been successful in bringing down the...
Editor's Note: This is a guest article contributed by Mr. Sameer Agrawal, Creative Director at MarTeck Consulting. In the realm of technology businesses, there are 2 types of sales that...