Yahoo Brings Password-Less Login And End-to-End Email Encryption

With almost all websites asking for logging-in to use their facilities, it is an undeniable fact that maintaining and remembering passwords for each website is a hassle. Although, logging-in through Google+, Facebook, Twitter etc. is possible from multiple platforms but then they run a high risk of security if password of even one account becomes known to an attacker. Yahoo has come up with a basic and simple (not necessarily secure) way of getting around this problem of passwords.

Here are the details of the virtually password-less login. Yahoo is introducing the concept of on-demand passwords or what you might call the ‘single-step’ authentication. According to the new method, you will first sign in with your Yahoo.com account but you won’t be able to access your account immediately. Under the ‘Security’ tab in the account information page, you will need to click on the slider to opt-in the ‘On demand password’.

on_demand_password_yahoo

After you opt-in, you will enter your phone number and Yahoo will then send you your password to your phone as a text, using which you will be able to log in. After this, each time when you login, Yahoo will send a new password to your phone. Naturally, it isn’t the most secure way especially if you lose your phone or it gets stolen but it definitely frees you from the aggravations of remembering passwords. This facility has already been made available for U.S. users.

One other update that Yahoo is hoping to bring is to introduce end-to-end (e2e) email encryption system. According to Yahoo, e2e encryption isn’t widely used because of its complexity but it is a much better way than the current method to encrypt your emails while sending them over the network. The system will work with one of Google Chrome’s extension. The following video explains what Yahoo is trying to do and how it is better over the traditional encryption method.

The system is still in the developing stage. Yahoo said that they are hoping to provide a stable, working version by the end of 2015.

Source: A New, Simple Way to Log In | Yahoo | Via: Yahoo shows off password-free logins and new encrypted email technology - The Verge

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    SMS based i.e. *Password less* login is age old system . Google's two factor authentication. just save the password in browser and use sms based or gAuthenticator everytime to login. They also given the facility to remember the device until cache cleared. Moreover You can have 5 exta code in case you don't have phone nearby. Which can be reset anytime.

Yahoo is hoping to bring is to introduce end-to-end (e2e) email encryption system.
    What a joke 😁!!
    Just watch Snowden's documentary CitizenFour (2014) . Lavabit was forced to shutdown because they ware using end to end encryption and refuse to open it for NSA.
    Probably new Yahoo's system is "End to End encryption except for NSA" ☕
  • Ameer Abbas
    Ameer Abbas
    Anoop Kumar
    SMS based i.e. *Password less* login is age old system . Google's two factor authentication. just save the password in browser and use sms based or gAuthenticator everytime to login. They also given the facility to remember the device until cache cleared. Moreover You can have 5 exta code in case you don't have phone nearby. Which can be reset anytime.

What a joke 😁!!
    Just watch Snowden's documentary CitizenFour (2014) . Lavabit was forced to shutdown because they ware using end to end encryption and refuse to open it for NSA.
    Probably new Yahoo's system is "End to End encryption except for NSA" ☕
    Hi, I dont understand this here , are you criticizing or just being an idiot. No one wanted you to compare anything to anything, we want details about the Yahoo password thingy. Just for reference come up with something creative next time, time waster.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ameer Abbas
    Hi, I dont understand this here , are you criticizing or just being an idiot. No one wanted you to compare anything to anything, we want details about the Yahoo password thingy. Just for reference come up with something creative next time, time waster.
    Apologies for wasting your time SIRE.☕
    Next, time please don't read my post.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My objective is to run the script automatically when usb-dongle is inserted . I looked into other links in google for the same but just can't get it work ....
Ideata Analytics is a computer software company founded by Pranjal Jain in the year 2013. A big data intelligence platform, Ideata Analytics provides an end-to-end, highly intuitive analytical application which...
Hi , currently i am working in infrastructure domain as wintel level1 support from past 1 year .but i want to change my domain (as it is 24/7) where i...
Hi Feels great to express our opinions and clear doubts. Am currently working as MIS Analyst for more than a year in a BPO industry. However am looking to change...
Hello Everyone, I'm back here. 😍 As this is my final year of BSc IT,I have received job offer from Igate as well as TCS. Igate is giving me position...