XMLMATE: Software Uses Genetic Algorithm For Error Detection

Manual testing is a tiring job and when it comes to large software products, it better be not talked of. According to the recent studies, software developers have been found investing a lot of time into the bug discovery and resolution, making it an expensive task. However, engineers have seen the rise of automated testing, the cheaper counterpart, but where do the required test cases come from? This is exactly the point raked up by Andreas Zeller, professor of Software Engineering at #-Link-Snipped-#. But Zeller, with other two computer scientists Nikolas Havrikov and Matthias Hoschele, seems to have developed a solution for generating the test cases and processing them as well.

xmlmate

The software named XMLMATE works by automatically generating the test cases and using them for testing the given piece of code. As the input given is used to generate initial set of cases, hence it should be structured in a specific way. The XML inputs are parsed into a central structure called tree. Collections of these trees, termed as chromosomes are provided to the genetic algorithm. This algorithm is responsible for the generation of different test cases. The testing of input is modeled on biological evolution, hence, the input that is processed by the maximum units of code survives. Havrikov who implemented XMLMATE admits that finding the errors is a tough task and the real challenge lies in maximum code coverage. according to the developers of the system, the generator mutates, recombines, generates and evolves the input to produce cases.

XMLMATE is developed in java programming language. The inputs are defined in XML and presence of XML schema could be an advantage. However, if the programming input is not XML supported, it can be configured accordingly by using various tools. The software is already on the open source and is being used by many developers. The creators believe that with their framework they can test various spheres ranging from computer networks to car sensors.

Source:#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• kishore grandhi
    kishore grandhi
    Very Interesting. Is it possible to share the XML Mate to see how it really works. I am more interested to see how it produces new breed of test cases which can detect the bugs early.
  • Divyanshu Sharma
    Divyanshu Sharma
    Kishore Grandhi
    Very Interesting. Is it possible to share the XML Mate to see how it really works. I am more interested to see how it produces new breed of test cases which can detect the bugs early.
    I am unsure of the download source as of now but you can grab the data-set and paper from XMLMate - Home Page
    The testing techniques are an interesting read. The scope of research for this topic was restricted to the point of staging but you can probably take over and share the minutiae in the same space. 👍
  • kishore grandhi
    kishore grandhi
    Thanks Divyanshu.😀 Data Set is good. Will the New test cases which are generated can extend the test coverage? how can we know whether it is really increased?
    Also, i would like to do small POC on a real application or on Sample SugarCRM application. Please advice me how to start with.

I am sorry if my questions does not make sense.But your solution is really thought- provoking.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

european standards (ecss) exist for space systems but they are generally outlined for launch vehicles. Do specific standards exist for payload fairings? For example a test sequence is outlined for...
JPEG has been in the market for quite a long time and it has been showing no signs of disappearing. It is the only lossy compression format which has achieved...
In a major attempt to make use of available technology and to connect to the citizens, Bangalore City Traffic Police (BTP) have launched mobile apps which will provide updates regarding...
Engineers at MIT have discovered a new catalyst called Molybdate (one molybdenum atom bonded with four oxygen atoms) that offers the much needed capability of trapping the carbon dioxide in...
People believe WhatsApp free and while I'm using it for quite some time now - let me tell you; it's not free. It's cheaper than SMS; but it's *NOT FREE*....