X-ray vision enables drivers to see through the trucks to overtake them safely

Big trucks and cars often block the sight on the highways which makes overtaking them a difficult business. Wouldn't it be very nice if the drivers could see the road 'through' the vehicles to make a well informed decision about overtaking? A team of researchers from University of Porto (Portugal) has developed a new technology that equips the drivers with x-ray vision that lets them see through the vehicles cruising ahead of them. This new system called "STS" enables the drivers to take better decisions whether to overtake the slow moving truck or not.

slide

The system uses Augmented Reality (AR) technique with the use of a camera mounted on the front vehicle. The rear car has a transparent LCD integrated into the windshield to display what the camera on the front vehicle is seeing. There's only a lag of about 200 milliseconds in the resulting video; which means if driver's car is moving at 90 kmph; the oncoming car would look 10 meters farther than its actual position.

The researchers say that the results they've obtained so far are very promising, especially after the use of 801.11p wireless communication protocol. This protocol allows a quicker connection between two vehicles which makes the STS practical and very useful.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am studying "Freakonomics" by Steven Levitt in which he states that legalization of abortion in America has a major role in curbing crime and it had decreased homicides, rape,...
what is working mechanism of the diwali gun pls explain me how its happening simultaneously
I was browsing through SnapDeal.com when I found out about www.reglobe.in where you can buy and sell used gadgets. ReGlobe.in comes with a tagline 'choose to reuse'. Sounds like a...
I had been using my laptop for the past four years and its good to have a touchpad other than a mouse as it offers more ease on working and...
Scientists from VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland have come up with an innovative solution to make transferring files between various gadgets easier. Making use of a ring, nail or...