Would you pay for Spotify in India?

Spotify is set to launch in India towards end of March. The online music streaming markets in India are already saturated but Spotify's entry will make it more interesting. 

Obviously, Spotify can't remain out of India given that Indian Internet user base is currently exploding and companies like Netflix have already been moderately successful here. However, there's quite a difference between consuming video content vs consuming audio content. 

As of now, I do not know if Apple music is just as successful as it is in the rest of the world. I'm yet to know anyone who's happily paying Apple Rs. 120/month to listen to music they can listen anywhere else for free. 

There are premium streaming service providers already -

• Gaana - even the premium plans are super cheap
  • Amazon Music - offers free premium subscription with Amazon Prime
  • JioSaavn - Offers complementary service for first three months with Jio Prime
  • Apple Music - Not Free
  • Google Play Music - Costs Rs. 99/month
  • ..and several others. 

Will you buy Spotify India Subscription?

Spotify is known to have exclusive deals with content creators in the west. However, in India - it will take some time to produce exclusive content. Without a strong pull factor, I doubt people in India will be willing to pay for Spotify's subscription. 

The question remains - Will you pay for Spotify plans? 

Related -

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal

I am paying 99 INR per month to Google Play Music.

If Spotify services could provide me better service around same price cap, I guess I would switch to Spotify.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - Gaana Premium is cheaper and their collection is impressive. I get Amazon Music with Prime membership; but they don't have the songs I listen to. 

• Mohit Patil
    Mohit Patil

I have a curated list of YT playlists. Keeps playing in the loop.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Update: Spotify has officially launched in India today. The pricing starts at Rs. 119 per month and there are student plans that are marked at Rs. 59/month. 

Just wondering - how many of you are willing to pay for Spotify. 

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal

*raises hand*

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

... #-Link-Snipped-# - paying for content discovery or what? 

• Mohit Patil
    Mohit Patil

I have downloaded the desktop app and the free version serves me well. #-Link-Snipped-# is there noticeable difference between 320Kbps and 96Kbps streaming? 

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal

#-Link-Snipped-# Basically paying for an ad-free experience and some old-school music which i couldn't even find in Google play music.

#-Link-Snipped-# For me, yeah.

• Mohit Patil
    Mohit Patil

What speakers or headphones do you use #-Link-Snipped-# ? I am looking for a good option for less than $100. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I've been playing with the Spotify Desktop app and Mobile app. One of the most interesting feature I've seen so far is that if you have Spotify playing on your computer, you can control the tracks and volume right from your mobile! 

You can increase or decrease the volume on your computer and even forward or reverse the track. Quite interesting! ? 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It looks like BSNL's hired someone really really smart. The person has come up with an excellent idea of injecting BSNL's own advertisements into every website that loads over 'http'...
Would you lie in a job interview if the lie doesn't hurt anyone? 
Hi, I am M. Tech in Civil engineering having 10 years of work experience in civil engineering now want to start my own business -as design engineer ,consultant or contractor...
I have been selected for LTI on 29 Jan 2019 and I received offer of employment letter the same day and I am currently waiting for joining date .We were...
I am sure that many CEans will agree with this:As professionals around the world feel increasingly pressed for time, they’re giving up on things that matter to them. A recent...