Worm gear

What is the relationship/formula of the worm gear between the angular rotation of the gear and the linear movement of the worm? I want to know how to derive the geomatric relations of the worm gear.

Thanks.

Replies

• vincent_lwh
    vincent_lwh
    Hi all,
    Is there anyone who is kind enough to answer me?
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The Worm and Worm Gear consists of two parts , namely the Worm Screw ie the rotating Screw which meshes into the Worm GEar wheel which is a Spur Gear.

The principle is that , for one rotation (360 deg) of the Worm Screw the Worm Gear ( wheel ) moves by one Tooth .

In the Worm and Worm pair, the driving shaft is attatched to the Worm screw and the driven shaft to the gear wheel.

From the above principle of motion, it is clear that the SpeedReduction in this pair is very high as for one rotation of the screw the gear turns only for one tooth.

The gear ratio for a Worm and Worm wheel pair is always : Size of the Worm Gear : 1, because the gear turns only for one tooth for one rotation of the screw.

Thus Worm and Worm gears are used to get very LOW SPEEDS and transmit HIGHER TORQUE at the same time and at same low speeds. The Worm and Worm assembly is very compact as compared to other type of gearing used.

Due to the compactness and comparitive Size to Reduction Ratio relation they are mostly preffered for very Low speed generations and high torque requirements at low speeds.
    Such as some differentials, in mechanical metal presses, conveyers etc.

The main relation of motion between the two elements is mentioned above. The Load and the reduction ratio required will dictate the Module of the gear and the pitch. All other parameters and the Derivation required can be accordingly found out from any standard text book.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Howdy folks! I'm wondering if one can order a unix (ubuntu) powered Dell Desktop in India. I don't see any option on their website. 😔 What are the other brand/options...
there is a query in my mind is it possible to design a cell phone with a small interpretor fit inside which can convert the languages. for example suppose i'm...
Which is better webmining or grid computing to do a project, ? I am interested in both. But want to know which one has good value in software field.
Wrote a sudoku solver. It does solve some sudokus (may be "easy" level) but gets stuck while solving few sudokus giving user multiple options for one cell and continues if...
Here i am going to show some Crop Circle images... among them mostly are really puzzle for scientist who made it? no one knows i read one article on that...