World's Quietest Room @ - -9.4 decibels - Inner peace anyone?

An anechoic chamber in Minneapolis's Orfield Laboratory holds the Guinness world record for the world's quietest place at -9.4 decibels. As humans can only detect sounds above 0 decibels, the chamber is virtually soundless. The room consists of a mesh floor, walls lined with meter-long sound-proofing wedges, and a meshed ceiling. People inside the chamber can hear their own stomach, heart, or even ears, as the ear makes its own noise when it does not detect sound.
Source: Minnesota Public Radio

See this video:

I think most of the people entering will come screaming out after 10 minutes or so. ๐Ÿ˜จ What do you think?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Silence is the top distraction.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think it will be the best for meditation and Kung-Fu practice. โ˜• What say, CEans?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    AbraKaDabra
    the ear makes its own noise when it does not detect sound.
    What?? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ I didn't know that before!! Should be fun to try it out! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    My inner's are super super peaceful. ๐Ÿ˜
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yeah, a simple constructional innovation. Or should I say, one of the best sound dampening techniques?

I think, the wood has intelligently been included to utilize the perforations in it to damp the sound. Also, wedge shapes ensure lot of air space.
    AbraKaDabra
    I think it will be the best for meditation and Kung-Fu practice. โ˜• What say, CEans?
    The place is best for you #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think the reason why we hear our stomach or ears is because of the effect known as sensory deprivation. Your ears would no longer be dealing with all of that background noise, so everything would become exponentially louder. Just like how your eyes adjust to darkness.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, I am... Name: Marsha Bills *Engineering Trade: I was an Electronics Engineering student then I shifted to Electrical . Location: From Phil. *Occupation: I am still a student,...
Foursquare has updated their blackberry app and the updated is app is available in the blackberry app store. According to a blog post on Foursquare blog, the new app is...
NHK, Japan announced this 145-inch Ultra High Definition plasma display, which has 16 times the resolution of a regular Full HD display. This prototype was co-developed with Panasonic. And the...
How could the electronics giant LG remain behind in the race for the cloud? The company promised that they will launch the 'LG Cloud' service, that will let you upload...
A fairly safe cryogenic reaction engine. https://www.instructables.com/id/10000-rpm-ping-pong-ball/