World's Largest Quantum Circuit Board Created By Tokyo & Australian University Researchers

In what set a wave of quantum computing news all over the tech town, researchers from University of Tokyo and Australian National university have accomplished a never seen before feat. They have taken a huge step towards building the first quantum computer by developing the world's largest quantum circuit board. Quantum computers which promise ultrafast performance for certain tasks, require large cluster states for long computations. A circuit board is an essential component for a quantum computer made of laser light. The research conducted by these two international universities have helped see the largest number of quantum systems brought together in a single component jump from 14 to 10,000.

The design proposed by Dr. Nicolas Menicucci, from the University of Sydney’s School of Physics has allowed Furusawa’s research team to construct a ‘circuit board’ of more than 10,000 quantum systems – an increase of three orders of magnitude over the nearest competing design. This means they have achieved a world record for the largest quantum resource ever produced in which every part can be accessed directly and individually, which is essential if it is to be useful for quantum computing.

nphoton.2013.287-f1

Schematic of the experimental set-up and ultra-large-scale XEPR state.​

“The transistor, invented in the mid-1940s, replaced vacuum tubes in ordinary computers with components that can be mass produced,” said Dr Nicolas Menicucci, from the University of Sydney’s School of Physics. “The scalability afforded by transistors enabled the explosion in computing technology we’ve seen in the last 65 years. Similarly, this breakthrough promises scalable design of laser-light quantum computing hardware,” Menicucci said.

Eesearchers at the University of Tokyo, led by Professor Akira Furusawa worked hard to achieve this goal. A working quantum computer would exploit the mysterious properties of quantum physics, allowing the most difficult computational problems – impractical for even the fastest supercomputers – to become feasible to solve. “The two main obstacles to creating quantum computers are the precise control of tiny quantum systems and the issue of scalability, which is the ability to make bigger and bigger quantum computers out of small parts,” said Menicucci.

The study is published in journal #-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

• kirk czuhai
    kirk czuhai
    if my memory serves me there are only about 10^93 baryons in the whole universe which theoretically could be arranged in 10^93 ! ways !!!!!!! even with this crude explanation of God's universe and super dooper nincompooper computers i don't know if you could figure out why dogs crap preferably pointing north and south!!!!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Whatsapp for iPhone got a new update today which features the new iOS 7 User Interface and a lot of new modifications. Whatsapp has clearly surpassed Facebook Messaging and other...
A new image search tool developed by Parham Aarabi, a professor in electrical and computer engineering at the University of Toronto and his former student Ron Appel makes spotting you...
If you thought disconnecting a computer from all the wired and wireless networks is the ultimate way to protect it from all the malware, you were wrong. Computer engineers at...
Recently I formated my tab (rooted 2 months back) to update to 4.4 kitkat but I failed to update and I update it with 4.3. Is it possible to recover...
I'm wondering if the facility exists in Android out of the box. I'd rather send a special code to my mobile phone via SMS and the phone would automatically disable...