World's Fastest Wi-Fi Router Does 40 Gbps From A Kilometer Away

So, how fast is your router? If you recently demonstrated your friends how quickly your brand new router sends a full HD move from your desktop to your mobile over Wi-Fi, then researchers at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany would laugh at you. Why? Because their router can send a 2-hour Full HD movie over a kilometer long wireless network in less than a second. We're sorry if that news makes you feel bad about your latest router.

The Germans did use a better hardware to transmit the data at 240 GHz. The hardware has been designed and developed at the KIT and comprises of a set of chips that process high frequency signals. The higher the frequency, the smaller can be the antenna size to pick up the frequencies. It also means a lot of data can be transferred in a shorter period of time. The number of bits carried over the airwaves is in inverse proportion to that of the wavelength. This means, the shorter the wavelength, the more data can be transferred in a set period of time.

slide

A typical wireless network operates at 2.4-5 GHz and transmission speeds of a few MBs per second is common. At higher frequencies, moisture levels in the air factor in and may cause the signal to fade; however the research engineering team found that 240 GHz is the sweet spot at which the interference from moisture is negligible. The frequency range between 200-280 GHz allows compact technical assembly as well. At 240 GHz, the size of the transmitter/receiver chip measures only 4 x 1.5 sq.mm.

This technological advancement could open a number of avenues to improve broadband penetration in the world. Especially in reaching out to remote areas where laying out fiber-optic cables isn't a viable option. The wireless technology with high data transmission rates can help cutting down on the cable laying costs.

We recently wrote about the rapid development going on to make the 5G Makes 4G LTE Look Boring With 1 Gbps Download Speeds commercial by year 2020. 5G would allow connection speeds of 1 Gbps. It'd be interesting to see how the Internet speeds evolve in coming days. We are totally excited about the world's fastest wi-fi router. 40 Gbps would be a dream come true; what do you say?

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    By the way, though the technology won't make it to commercial routers right away, I'd urge CEans to share ways to speed up our current routers. That'd be really interesting, I think.
  • adinickluv
    adinickluv
    Wow!! That's incredible!!
    What is the name of this router and any further technical specs provided?
    And as I see the image of the router, its seems to be in a pretty raw state!!
    Its a marvelous innovation...
  • immanuel sheshi
    immanuel sheshi
    This is super cool.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    How many users can connect to that router at a time.

If that number would be in thousands or (hundreds of thousand), I would say is it a possibility that government would install this routers at multiple points and entire nation will have facility to connect to web??

-CB
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Most routers have LAN cable and an additional WIFI router to speed the router Remove the Defunc line from the router completely

If you are not using the LAN cable for the time being remove it from the router. This prevents dual connections from occuring

Cause some use LAN cable and WIFI for the same laptop Which is a mere waste in division of transmission Speed

Next try one connection at a time using many wireless devices in the vicinity also hinders speed
  • Jeremy Lansman
    Jeremy Lansman
    First question: Rain attenuation?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Jeremy Lansman
    First question: Rain attenuation?
    Should affect; but not sure if the impact is significant at 240 GHz.
  • Jeremy Lansman
    Jeremy Lansman
    When drops of rain are 1/4 wave length or greater they will cause significant attenuation by scattering the beam. A lot of rain can kill the path, even if the path is quite short with a lot of margin. Once, during a heavy rain, I watched a 23 GHz 1.6 km analog link drop and return in step with visibility of the tower at the other end of the link. I find some material on this topic via Google. #-Link-Snipped-# "it is found that the CCIR model underestimates the rain attenuation at frequencies above 80 GHz" Ok.. yes, most of what I have seen in years past is about satellite rain fade, as in this paper, but terrestrial links may slice through more atmosphere and have greater loss. #-Link-Snipped-# At one km, your link is short. But I think you should keep a record of signal levels and signal quality versus rain rate.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The CE Weekend Debate started 4 weeks earlier, and the people participating are becoming low , so this thread is made for discussing what improvement CEans in the debate. I...
1) Can a non-US resident back Kickstarter Project ? 2) Can a non-US resident post/publish his/her project in Kickstarter ? 3) If I back any project (assume it's OUYA) &...
pf-Kernel is a Linux kernel fork which provides you some awesome features which are not included in mainline Linux Kernel. "pf" stands for "Post Factum", Author's nick-name. Some popular patchsets...
hey guys, i think you all remember me i am narayana let me say this in my way as simple as possible i am a electrical and electronics engineer and...
I see that exams are going on in most of the colleges and Universities in India. I'm curious to know by what date do the semester exams get over for...