World’s first road-powered electric vehicle network switches on in South Korea

Quote:
South Korea has rolled out the world’s first road-powered electric vehicle network. The network consists of special roads that have electrical cables buried just below the surface, which wirelessly transfer energy to electric vehicles via magnetic resonance. Road-powered electric vehicles are exciting because they only require small batteries, significantly reducing their overall weight and thus their energy consumption. There’s also the small fact that, with an electrified roadway, you never have to plug your vehicle in to recharge it, removing most of the risk and range anxiety associated with electric vehicles (EVs).
Endquote

World’s first road-powered electric vehicle network switches on in South Korea | ExtremeTech

Highly resonant wireless transmission has a great potential. Wide spread use of this may have adverse implications to various medical devices on, in and outside the body. I trust that all such issues will be addressed properly.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Resonance is the role player when it comes to wireless transfer pf power

With many possibilities of creating A tesla cell in case of slight failure Is this tech rally that reliable sir

Cos life is at stack power gets accidentally transmitted to the human Body
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Conqueror
    Resonance is the role player when it comes to wireless transfer pf power. Cos life is at stack power gets accidentally transmitted to the human Body
    Sometimes in the march of technology, consequential issues get bypassed. ATleast in the case of domestic or consumer electronics, there are regulations that control EMI and such issues that may affect things like implanted pacemakers or other devices. A wind farm in US has been linked to some neurological problems for people nearby because of low frequency sound waves from the blades at certain wind speeds.

These are concerns we should address before large scale application of such technologies.
    Yesterday there was an article on how sound and light pollution is affecting not only bird life but animal life as well in Bangalore city.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    On the other hand thousands of metres of electric cables should be deployed.Do you think it is a economical and ecofriendly process?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There are thousands of kilometers of railway tracks that have paid for themselves for more than a century.

At least the emissions are confined to the electricity generating stations, where they can be controlled and not all over.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    A.V.Ramani
    There are thousands of kilometers of railway tracks that have paid for themselves for more than a century.

At least the emissions are confined to the electricity generating stations, where they can be controlled and not all over.
    I want to know whether laying roads are costly or deploying cables.I agree to the pollution control criteria but we want the cheap and best model.While all auto industry giants are geared up for the ZEV(Zeroemission vehicle) what should be the apt fuel do you think sir #-Link-Snipped-#.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    A.V.Ramani
    The network consists of special roads that have electrical cables buried just below the surface, which wirelessly transfer energy to electric vehicles via magnetic resonance.
    I apologies for applying my destructive mind,

what will happen if the high voltage electrical cables gets a cut, due to road slide or any other reason. It will be life threatening, right?

-CB
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I apologies for applying my destructive mind,
    Shall we say just applying. Destructive or otherwise is done by other minds. That is true of all existing power distribution buried cables. The circuit will have to have protection devices. Of course, one will see a long line of stalled vehicles right in the middle of the road till the fault is rectified. (At a conservative estimate of one week in rest of India and two or three in Kerala and W.Bengal to sort out which union has to do the work.)

what should be the apt fuel
    If the magnetic resonance is applied to high traffic density roads and a hydrogen fuel is used for generating power, much of the emissions will be reduced. Since all vehicles cannot have magnetic resonance, if new vehicles can be designed with on board hydrogen fuel cells further control of emissions is possible.

Tata Motors & ISRO Develop India's First Fuel Cell Bus
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well this is one tech whose side effects can't be predicted in test scenarios If this tech has to be truly understood a long term research is the need of the hour

That much time is not available we need solutions to reduce emissions
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There are two different issues here. While the mag resonance can take its time, hydrogen fuel cell can be looked atimmediately.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I would like to know how many stacks are there in a computer and what is a stack in reality and what is the function of each stack. Thank you...
can i do mba after b.tech in aeronautics . what are its advantages and disadvantages ??
CSIR has announced exams. Following link will be useful for the candidates. https://csirhrdg.res.in/mainnotificationnet_dec2013.pdf Any suggestions exam materials etc will be useful for others thank you. ATB !👍
The title may be a little misleading But here we are talking about a Chinese tech to convert brain wave into sound Just like Mozart. This process is primarily a...
We had the facility of WiFi in our hostel till last semester but the hostel governing people removee WiFi from hostel this semester.When we approached them and enquired about the...