Workshop on "Excitement of Research" in IIIT-Hyderabad.

Hi guys..!

I am glad to say you all that I attended a workshop on Excitement of Research (ExOR) in International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT), Hyderabad. This workshop was conducted on 28-29 Nov,2009 by IIIT-Hyderabad. I want to share my experience with you all..!

The main motive of the workshop is to motivate the students towards the Research..!
The name itself suggests that Excitement towards the Research. So many VIPs gave lectures on various topics.

Here is a Brief Introduction about the Speakers who gave us the valuable presentations to us..!

1)[FONT="] [/FONT]DR. R. Sreehari Rao :- He is an “Outstanding Scientist” took over as Chief Controller R&D ( Electronics & Computer sciences) at Defence Research & Development Organisation(DRDO). He done his M.Tech from IIT, kharagpur in 1974 and Ph.D from IIT, Madras in 1995. He gave us the presentation about “Excitement of Research : DRDO Experience”.

2)[FONT="] [/FONT] Prof. Uday B.Desai :- He is the Director of IIT, Hyderabad. He gave us the presentation on “Invention, Innovation & Research”.

3)[FONT="] [/FONT]A S Manjunath :- He is the Deputy Director, Data Processing Area (DPA), National Remote Sensing Centre (ISRO), Hyderabad. He gave the presentation “Image Processing and analysis activities at NRSC”

4)[FONT="] [/FONT]DR G Narahari Sastry :- He is the Head, Molecular Modeling group, Organic Chemical Sciences, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad. He gave the presentation on “Interdisciplinary Research : Building Bridges between Science and Engineering”

5)[FONT="] [/FONT]Srinivas Kopparapu :- He is the Senior Manager- IT, Broadridge Financial Soluitions ( India) Private Limited, Hyderabad. He gave the presentation on “Quest for Ingenuity”.

6)[FONT="] [/FONT]Prasad Saripalli :- He is the Group Program Manager, Microsoft Virtualization Team, Microsoft (India), Hyderabad. He gave the Presentation on “Excitement of Research : How you can be a part of it”

7)[FONT="] [/FONT]B Krishna Murthy :- He is the Vice President, Center Head, Wipro Technologies Limited, Hyderabad. He gave the presentation on “ How to think like a Scientist?”.

8)[FONT="] [/FONT]K.S Rajan :- He is an Associate Progessor of IIIT- Hyderabad. He gave the presentation on “Multidisciplinary Research : The Future of Research”.

9)[FONT="] [/FONT]DR Vasudeva Varma :- He is the PG Chairman of IIIT- Hyderbad. He made the speech on “Opportunities for Research with IIIT Hyderabad”.

10)[FONT="] [/FONT] Prof R.Govindarajulu :- He is the Professor of IIIT, Hyderabad. He gave the lecture on “Concurrent Programming”.

Lot of students from NITs and VITs and from top colleges all over the India came for the workshop..! And it’s a very great experience to interact with the Research Professors, Research Students and the students from various colleges.

We visited so many labs like Lab for spacial Informatics, Robotics lab etc of IIIT- Hyderabad. And they explained us so many research projects like SIEL, FISH going on there. I liked those two projects..!

So, Really it’s a great experience for me..! And I am Ready to give you any kind of information about the workshop…!

Replies

• sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Seems interesting

So let us start with one of the many things you liked the most in the workshop

That is the presentation on the topic that excited you the most
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    @ Sarvesh : Beyond the presentations, I liked the research projects going on there. They are very interesting..!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Great Sahithi!!!

If you could highlight , explain us the points in the presentation.
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    What were the research projects all about?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thank you guys..!

Sure, I will post the important points of presentation and about some of the research projects tomarrow...!
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    Waiting Sahithi.,
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    sahithi pallavi
    @ Sarvesh : Beyond the presentations, I liked the research projects going on there. They are very interesting..!
    Great seems that you are also interested in research

Waiting to hear more from you like a sincere student with finger on the lips :sshhh:
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Hi guys..! Sorry for the delay..!

One of the Research Project going on there is FISH.

FISH means Fast Image Search on Huge DataBase. While searching the images, we will get number of images of different sizes and different models. So, to reduce our searching time, they are designing a project named FISH. If we want a bus picture, then simply mention the name bus in that search engine. Then it displays some10 pictures of buses of different sizes, different dimensions and differerent models. So, we have to select a picture from them based on our requirement(like dimensions, models). Then it displays a number of bus pictures of different colors with our required dimensions and specifications..! So that the time complexity is very less in this search engine..!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    And Some of the points of their presentation are :-

What is Research ?

Ans : Search for knowledge, Intelligent enquiry or examination in seeking facts or principles and Systematic investigation to establish facts.

Key Ingredients of Research :-

1)Data gathering.
    2)Must be a continuous process. You cant say that My research timings are from 2 P.M to 5 P.M.
    3)Must be Curious and questioning.
    4)Need to be at the right place, right time, right question.
    5)Understand the observations.

Why Research Curious :-

1)Sense of Mystery
    2)Discovery
    3)Understanding
    4)Contribution to Society
    5)Company of Scholors
    6)Natural Curiosity of Gaining Subject

P.S : I am Sorry if there are any mistakes..!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Very nice information , thanks!

PS. I am supposed to attend a session on How to think innovatively at our office! its mandatory so no skipping.
    If it has some value to post I will post it here !!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thank you ES..!

P.S : Good. Yes, you may post here..! NO problem Es..!
  • patsham
    patsham
    Sahithi....it really seems intresting...hey...please do a favour...if you come to know about some more workshops like this, kindly let me know...
    Thank u
    -SHAMALI
    [​IMG]
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Sure shamali!!

I will definitely post in our CE-Events section..!
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Nice information Pallavi 👍

The project FISH seems like what happens in bing image search... doesn't it?
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Can you share some more detail on the project FISH ?

Were the projects discussed from varied fields?
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    It was a nice experience for you sahithi..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Under normal usage, batteries should be calibrated a minimum of once every 3 months. Your battery can be calibrated by following these steps: Step 1 - Disable the Windows Power...
The film sticks to what seems to have become the standard formula for Bollywood comedies. Many characters with different agendas get together in one location. What follows is misunderstood identities,...
I'm preparing to give GATE next year (Mechanical Engineering). So could someone help with regards to the books I should refer ? My branch is Mechatronics and so I haven't...
I'm looking for Civil IS codes free of cost. It'd be really nice if someone can upload them here so that all others get to download them from just one...
Sir / madam, My question is Find the output of the following void main() { char *s="\12345s\n"; printf("%d",sizeof(s)); } Advance Thanks, R.Rengaraj {Java Certification Quiz} {On this forum my 22nd...