Working of various parts of engine in valve timing

Can Somebody Please enlighten me up about working of various parts of engine in valve timing. I need to know about whole working of Camshaft, Rocker arm, push rods, tappets etc.

Thanks.

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I'd refer you to Heywood's Internal Combustion Engines and Pulkrabek's Engineering Fundamentals of IC Engines.
  • mechky
    mechky
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The camshaft is driven by crankshaft and is connected to it by set of gears or a chain. The camshaft rotates at half the engine speed. This is achieved by having number of teeth on camshaft gear or sprocket to be double than that of crankshaft gear or sprocket.
    When the camshaft rotates, the cam projection lifts the tappet which then operates the push-rod. The push-rod causes one end of the rocker arm to rotate about a rocker shaft. The other end of rocker arm pushes down the valve stem, due to which, the valve is opened. As this happens the valve spring gets compressed. As the camshaft rotates further, the tappet moves down and the valve is now closed by expansion of valve spring.
    A tappet clearance is provided between the rocker arm and the bottom of the valve stem. The clearance can be adjusted by means of an adjusting screw. A valve clearance is also provided between the rocker arm and the valve stem which allows for the expansion of valves when engine is hot.
    Valve spring retainer is used to keep the valve spring properly pressed with the valve stem. Valve guide is fitted in the cylinder head which allows the valve to move up and down and also acts as a seal to prevent the gases from passing from the valve port to the valve chamber of the engine block.

I have explained one type of valve mechanism above. There is another type - OHC (Overhead Camshaft) in which push-rods are not present and rocker arms may or may not be present.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Thanks mechky... Actually I have to study IC Engines Deeply in 6th semester (I'm entering 5th in July).

I was searching for this information for a long time. In My Industrial Training too, no Engineer at Engine R&D could explain this well.

Now I have gained up to some extent..

Thanks 😀

P.S. : Can you please share the source of above ??

How many times cam shaft rotates w.r.t to crankshaft in TWO STROKE ENGINES ??
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    For one rotation of crankshaft the camshaft rotates twice.
  • mechky
    mechky
    pverma
    Thanks mechky... Actually I have to study IC Engines Deeply in 6th semester (I'm entering 5th in July).

I was searching for this information for a long time. In My Industrial Training too, no Engineer at Engine R&D could explain this well.

Now I have gained up to some extent..

Thanks 😀

P.S. : Can you please share the source of above ??

How many times cam shaft rotates w.r.t to crankshaft in TWO STROKE ENGINES ??
    There is no particular source for this explanation. You can refer to Automotive mechanics by William Crouse if you wish to know more about the constructional details and working of various parts of engines.

In case of 'Two Stroke Engines' we don't have valves and ports are present that allow intake and exhaust. Ports operate automatically due to pressure difference in the cylinder. So, there is no need for camshafts in case of two stroke engines.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Could anyone please let me know the list of engineering journals which are publishing Open Access and those publishers?
CrazyEngineers members had a successful CE-meet at Hyderabad on June 10th, 2012. CEan- English-Scared Sada Punch_a_Tantra Reya durga ianoop Nick_Sharma ramana_slv Issue attended the meet with me. Here's my experience...
These sites will help you find internship opportunities. Explore them out yourselves www.letsintern.com www.hellointern.com www.twenty19.com www.letmeknow.in
does anyone know when there are seminars or electrical and elctronic fields in hyderabad? if u know please say me dates or send me url of website
I am Raveendran,a student of electrical and electronic engineering. My aim in life is to become an engineer useful to the society.