Working of engine using magnets

pls give ur ideas...... can we work the piston of engine using the principle of magnetic levitation.i.e.using the picton that made of superconducting material and giving magnetic force on the cylinderical head by changing the poles of magnet....and my the continuous repulsion and attraction the piston will work...is it works...????/

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Worth trying out practically. But maintaining super conductivity in higher temperature is always a challenge when we have moving parts

So piston has to be ideally at lesser temperature to maintain super conductivity and this will make the need of Highly effective Temperature sink (Heat sinks). This will increase the size of Engine which is not advisable
  • Janaa karti
    Janaa karti
    Jeffrey Samuel
    Worth trying out practically. But maintaining super conductivity in higher temperature is always a challenge when we have moving parts

So piston has to be ideally at lesser temperature to maintain super conductivity and this will make the need of Highly effective Temperature sink (Heat sinks). This will increase the size of Engine which is not advisable
    but insted of super conductors can we use the same strong magnet at the top of the cylinder head..thus the magnets ll repels each other at a moment and attracts at another moment ...thus the pistons ll work as like a two stroke engine ...is it feasible?????do we need high power to rotate that magnet above the piston???
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    not sure but we will have really poor efficiency and the driving power we get will not be that high to run a large vehicle

We have to test it before we can say anything more SO I am out of this talk sorry
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I thought of this idea a couple of years ago. i tried developing it, and this is what i found:

firstly you need to create a very strong magnetic field to cause the attraction and repulsion of the piston, and this can be achieved only by using electromagnets. and for this you require a large amount of current.

so then with this you are back to square one, because since electricity is involved, then it is better to use an electric motor, instead of wasting time developing this engine.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    second: even if this thing works, it won't be applicable for automobile purposes, because speed control will not be possible (if natural magnets are used).
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    @#-Link-Snipped-# I have a small doubt in it.
    Consider we are using eitger attraction or repulsion because the momentum will be able to move the piston from TDC to BDC and vice versa.If you know kindly share the current required to do it.Will the 12 volt or 24volt battery able to do it?
  • Janaa karti
    Janaa karti
    thank you guys..
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    @#-Link-Snipped-# I have a small doubt in it.
    Consider we are using eitger attraction or repulsion because the momentum will be able to move the piston from TDC to BDC and vice versa.If you know kindly share the current required to do it.Will the 12 volt or 24volt battery able to do it?
    the momentum will not remain for long, thanks to the frictional resistance at the bearings and journals of the crankshaft.

So it is better if we use both attraction and repulsion. As for the voltage, well we can use any voltage, and the final mechanical output power will depend on the magnitude of the voltage used.

as for the mathematical relation between the input voltage and the output mechanical torque: that we will have to discover.
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : There is no point in using magnetic levitation in slider crank mechanism.Why waste your energy and time in running a mechanism which cannot be balanced. Try out something following the same priniciple in a balanced mechanism. You will save a lot of weight because you will not have balancing weights. try out something which can rotate about its own axis using magnetic levitation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is the burning capacity of plastics??? and what are the toxics that releases while burning plastics????????
I had created my system repair disc after 6-months of purchase of my new laptop and it was just 143 MB .Is this ok ?(I mean the amount😨)
sir,I know JSP/Servlets/EJB concepts.But why do we need Struts,Hibernate,Spring,JSF .. tell me the overview of this advanced technology.
This thread is dedicated for any query related to this resource : https://www.crazyengineers.com/resources/create-windows-7-bootable-pendrive-in-linux.743/
As electronics giants churn out smartwatches to be paired with their devices, Nissan has decided to make one for its range of high performance cars. Even though it’s just a...