working of a braking system in a ship

well i understand that there are these following ways:
1.reverse thrust (reversing the propeller to forward thrust)
2.Second, drag (or friction) from the water.
The problem with these braking system is that they don't stop instantly.
Is there an alternate method by which i can apply brakes so that the ship stops instantly.
please help 😕

Replies

• cooltwins
    cooltwins
    hey rahul......
    welcome to CE
    introduce yourself first and then post this question in the respective technical discussions sub forum😀
  • rahulsanal
    rahulsanal
    I am rahul studying in 3rd yr mech engg in amrita school of engineering bangalore
  • rahulsanal
    rahulsanal
    wer do i post the ques?
  • rahulsanal
    rahulsanal
    well i understand that there are these following ways:
    1.reverse thrust (reversing the propeller to forward thrust)
    2.Second, drag (or friction) from the water.
    The problem with these braking system is that they don't stop instantly.
    Is there an alternate method by which i can apply brakes so that the ship stops instantly.
    please help😕
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    Don't introduce yourself here....
    do it in the introduction section in the start point....😀
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    yes you can introduce yourself in the introduction section

and post your questions or information you want to share in the respective section

say for example any question related to brakes and all should be posted in the mechanical engineering section

I hope I am clear
  • gohm
    gohm
    Ships due to the inertia of their mass cannot stop instantly (just like trains, though more extreme). Stopping distance is measured as track reack /ship length. Large bulk carriers require a very long distance to come to a complete stop. Part of the reason is a ship cannot go into immediate full reverse thrust from full ahead, the stresses are too great and it causes too much air around the prop which greatly reduces grip of the blades (which increases stopping distance). As a fun example, during the sea trials of the Titanic, it's measured stopping distance was 1/2 mile from 20 knots. This is one of the uses for tugs in a harbor setting to both increase maneuverability and stopping distance of large vessels in a confined space.

Pod systems now being fitting on vessels can greatly improve turning radius and stopping distance. Currently with modern vessel design you would not want one to stop instantly (same for cars) as the abrupt sudden change in forces would cause major damage to the vessel and contents.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Folks, these comments should have been made on the profile pages.

This is an interesting question. I doubt there's a way to stop the ship instantly.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Good advice Biggie! This question thread was also posted over in the mechanical subforum. Since that is the correct area and this is a duplicate, please post there.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm curious, what do you think are the positive and negative points of them? Which would you prefer in then end? From what I gather, 8 hour shifts are not...
The DNS or the Domain Name System is like the switchboard operator that takes easy-to-remember Web address - such as Google.com and links them to their more complex IP addresses...
I want to create table sales_master and I have already table customer see below but why it give me error see: / Name Null? Type ----------------------------------------- -------- ---------------------------- CUST_ID NOT...
Automatic spelling correction Starting this week, when your query was misspelled, Google goes a step further than asking "Did you mean..." by automatically showing results for the corrected query, saving...
In a tugoff war to capture the internet Microsoft has announced some great enhancements to its search engine Bing being touted as Bing 2.0 The features are: * The beta...