Word list for me (i)

idiom (n): An expression whose meaning is different from the literal meaning of the words; a language or dialect used by a group of people.
It's sometimes hard for non-English speakers to grasp all the idioms used in English. We have special trouble with expressions like "letting the cat out of the bag." To let the cat out of the bag is to give away a secret, not to let a cat out of a bag. The expression is an idiom, not a literal statement of fact. Other languages have idioms, too. In French, "my little cabbage" is a term of endearment.

impose (v): to establish on others by force or authority

impoverish (v): To reduce to poverty; to make destitute
Impoverishment is poverty or the act of reducing to poverty. The Great Depression led to the impoverishment of many formerly well-off families in America.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I believe that English should be must for each and every citizen of India especially for those who have a recognized degree.. But i wan't to know that is English...
1.)If a word "FINGER" is coded as "SGJRNL", then how will you code the word "GROUND" ? a) TLSNJE b) TGNRSP c) EPXSWM d) EPNRWM e) none 2.)If "I am...
Google is rolling out a new advertising campaign on Thursday for its display advertising platform. The campaign, called Watch This Space, will run in advertising trade magazines and in other...
After nearly 20 months, Mahindra Satyam is visiting IT campuses around the country to recruit 3,000 fresh graduates. There was a continual freeze for a long time since Founder &...
Facing a massive shortage of well-qualified teachers, the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) has mooted a proposal for hiring foreign nationals as permanent faculty members. IITs have contended that...