woo hoo!! cazy ho!!

hiya!! i am anusha from chennai. am pursuing my b.tech biotechnology degreeπŸ˜€ am a fun loving person and undoubtedly not brilliant. Normally there are 3 types of students.
1)some make wonders happen
2)some watch wonders happen
3)some wonders,what happen?πŸ˜›

and i belong to the 3rd type. hope this would have made everyone clear about myself!! πŸ˜‰

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, Anusha. It's a pleasure to have you with us. Good to see biotech engineers joining the site. We look forward to interesting Biotech related discussions from you. Make yourself comfortable here and feel free to participate in existing discussions.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Welcome Anusha. Late Prof.Kunthala Jayaraman, who started the Centre for biotechnology at Anna University in 1985, was a good friend. My son did his B.Tech from it long back.

I was a frequent visitor to the centre.
  • anusha venkat
    anusha venkat
    bioramani
    Welcome Anusha. Late Prof.Kunthala Jayaraman, who started the Centre for biotechnology at Anna University in 1985, was a good friend. My son did his B.Tech from it long back.

I was a frequent visitor to the centre.
    hello sir!!saw your profile . itz really a honor for a small girl getting noticed by a great man. my grand dad was a scientist in our army. he was the one who ignited me with the fire of biotechnology!! he was trying to bring extract gun powder from the caffine, but he couldnt. he is no more. but all his inspirational sayings are still with me. hope this would help me in achieving greater heights!!!!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    anusha venkat
    he was trying to bring extract gun powder from the caffine, but he couldnt.
    I am not sure about gunpowder from caffeine. But I spent time on extracting caffeine from tea waste. An interesting chemical engineering project.
  • anusha venkat
    anusha venkat
    oh!! that sounds interesting!! was the result positive???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    I am not sure about gunpowder from caffeine. But I spent time on extracting caffeine from tea waste. An interesting chemical engineering project.
    I knew tea contains caffeine, but didn't know it's so hard to extract it. Does our body extract caffeine from tea? Isn't that the element that makes us feel energetic?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Eager to know why is it so hard to do so ??
  • anusha venkat
    anusha venkat
    The_Big_K
    I knew tea contains caffeine, but didn't know it's so hard to extract it. Does our body extract caffeine from tea? Isn't that the element that makes us feel energetic?
    yes!!! our body takes the caffeine by absorption through small intestine. caffeine acts a neuro stimulant thus providing us alertness!!
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Hello.! You seem to be a very "crazy Engineer". You can see many like minded people here.! Welcome Home.! πŸ˜€ And, gunpowder from caffeine? Wow, Such an amazing thing to think about.! Hope you reach great heights and contribute much here.!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    You are right. It is the caffeine that gives the 'lift'.
    In a tea factory only the tip leaves are used for the product. The other parts that are removed as a waste contains 1 to 2% caffeine for dry weight. Usually the waste is burnt in the factory boiler to generate process steam as it is too expensive to extract the caffeine.
    We set up a 10 cu.m. percolator, used the waste to generate steam and hot water, sprayed the extract through some 25 bath shower heads to evaporate bulk of the water recirculating the brew collected in big tanks below through a heat exchanger again heated by the waste burning boiler to get a water concentrate of caffeine and other solubles. This was counter current extracted with carbon tetra chloride(CTC) in a contactor, finally distilling off the CTC to get crude crystalline caffeine, which was purified by recrystallization.
    All this had to be done without adversely impacting the beautiful Nilgiris environment.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Welcome to CE family. πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, anyone knows something about this software, and how much popular it is especialy in earthquake design? Which software do you think is the best in earthquake design?
For a final year project which areas can i look at for new ways of efficient power factor correction? please help
There are over a million people suffering psychological disorders around the globe which include many different effects., all having their own names and terminologies. Why are many people affected with...
hello friends, help me with offcampus recruitment offers and related alerts. pls gv me information on some courses that are demanded more by the IT sector.Im a computer science graduate........I...
I am still very new tho this xkcd thing. found following url trending on Google+. Just click zoom, zoom out and drag to every object πŸ˜€ https://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/#10/1.0004/0.0000