With all the IPL going - here is a spinning Ping Pong Ball

A fairly safe cryogenic reaction engine.
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Just wondering what makes the ball spin?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    The_Big_K

Just wondering what makes the ball spin?
    Some chemical trick ! Not sure . 😕
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    godfather
    Some chemical trick ! Not sure . 😕
    Never took interest in Chemistry. 👎
  • manishks
    manishks
    We can convert a ping pong ball into a hero's engine by poking two holes tangentially to surface of ball. Then drop it into a liquid nitrogen and hold it under surface for few seconds. As air in ball cools pressure in ball drops and some liquid nitrogen is forced into ball due to atmospheric pressure. Now take the ball out and put it on table. As nitrogen boils and discharge ball spins rapidly!!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The spinning is rather simple and there is no black magic as someone may suggest.

The spinning is because of boiling Nitrogen. If you observe the video closely the ball has holes in it. In normal condition, the volume in the ball is occupied by atmospheric air. Now when you dip it in Liquid Nitrogen and take it out, the volume is partially filled by Nitrogen. The N2 boils and it shoots out of the holes thus we get spinning.

The important thing to not is that, at how much volume of liquid N2 are we getting 10,000RPM. It will last how much time and if applied in some weight carrying operations (like automobiles/ robots), what will be its payload capacity?

Also, this demonstration reminds me a lot of Ajeet.
    His famous dialog,

[​IMG]

Liquid isse jine nahi dega aur Oxygen isse marne nahi dega
    Translation: Liquid will not let him live and Oxygen will not let him die.
    😨
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    manishks is right as also issue. liquid nitrogen gets into the ball through a hole pricked in the ball. However, the hole should be as tangential as possible. After that the behaviour is rather trivial. It is rocket science (at a very basic level). Dr.Kalaam will turn up his nose at it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've not bought anything from Junglee yet; but it's been quite some time that Junglee has been launched by Amazon to taste the Indian e-commerce waters. There were price comparisons...
When Gmail launched they offered free POP and IMAP access to their mailboxes right away, out of the box. However, Yahoo asked users to upgrade their mailboxes and enable the...
Nokia Asha 202 has been launched in India at a price tag of Rs. 4149. Here are the set of features you should be aware of - Dual SIM 2.4"...
Zenith Infotech has launched a private cloud offering for the small and medium enterprises that won't cost a bomb! The service is named as 'TigerCloud' and is based on the...
Hiii......... I am doing a project on 'UNIVERSITY EXAMINATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM' using openerp 6.0.3 on ubuntu 10.10 platform.I've already created a module which can be used to mark attendence.Now I...