wireless electricity

i just read somewhere that a research is going on in mit to develop wireless electricity....however nothing was given on the principle on which they are working...i m little doubtful in their success because electricity flows from higher potential to lower potential...and if there would be no wires....and if we come between. the positive terminal and negative terminal...what would happen to us......i need not explain.....but i think if a device can be made which can convert electrical signals to radio signals...and radio signals back to electrical signals....it can be a significant achievement....(how to do so..i dont know ofcourse)........but my mit brothers are doing something.....lets hope they succeed....whats your take??????????????????

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    digvijay 112
    i just read somewhere that a research is going on in mit to develop wireless electricity....however nothing was given on the principle on which they are working...i m little doubtful in their success because electricity flows from higher potential to lower potential...and if there would be no wires....and if we come between. the positive terminal and negative terminal...what would happen to us......i need not explain.....but i think if a device can be made which can convert electrical signals to radio signals...and radio signals back to electrical signals....it can be a significant achievement....(how to do so..i dont know ofcourse)........but my mit brothers are doing something.....lets hope they succeed....whats your take??????????????????
    I come to know about this type of idea long time ago when i read one post here on CE. And now MIT people are doing research on that. It's good sign. I too hope they will achieve success in this project.
  • sachleen
    sachleen
    hi...
    i have given a presentation on dis topic so i know....something abut it,,,..actually wireless electricity can be produced by using PIEZO-ELECTRIC crystal....it is a material in which when some pressure is applied at it's two ends..den dis crystal will convert that mechanical pressure into electrical energy....and thus electricity is produced wirelessly....and after that electricity is also transmitted wirelessly. by converting it into microwaves...it is such a fantastic topic.....
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i listened that this wireless transmission is having low efficiency and only used for the short distances only
    in my view if we improve in this field we can move the world to another phase in the field of electricity 😁
  • sachleen
    sachleen
    i don't think so @NM that electricity can be transmitted at short distances wirelessly.....by using microwaves ...we can transmit electricity over long distances...
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    did any CEan visit IIT-Bombay Techfest 2010? The MIT group was there showing their project and research on the wireless electricity. I was there too but I missed it out for some reason.

Kindly post some details about their exhibition if anyone has seen it.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    sachleen
    hi...
    i have given a presentation on dis topic so i know....something abut it,,,..actually wireless electricity can be produced by using PIEZO-ELECTRIC crystal....it is a material in which when some pressure is applied at it's two ends..den dis crystal will convert that mechanical pressure into electrical energy....and thus electricity is produced wirelessly....and after that electricity is also transmitted wirelessly. by converting it into microwaves...it is such a fantastic topic.....
    out of curiosity, I would like to know what references you used during your presentation?
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    Poynting Theorem

Electricity and Magnetism are twin sisters. Do you remember Poynting Theorem in Field Theory Lectures? Magnet works without wire, so why not Electricity?
  • maraitamilan
    maraitamilan
    digvijay 112
    ya you right the project on wireless electricity is going on,The project has been named as WITRICITY, which means wireless electricity.Actually this was based on NIKOL TESLA method of transmitting electricity which means transmission of energy between two resonating coils.I also came across your state of converting Radio frequency waves to electricity but am not having clear cut idea but i came to know its not possible. i ll refer and tell y its not possible. 😀
  • Rohan Weerarathna
    Rohan Weerarathna
    Recently I have watched a youtube video regarding wireless electricity and according to that its possibel and they are plan to use it on domestic level at initial stage.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

WHAT KIND OF ENGINEER IS GOD? (A NEW SPIN OF AN OLD JOKE) By Ryan Somma One very fine day, a group of professorial-types of differing backgrounds happened at random...
CEan Bioramani celebrates his 72[sup]nd[/sup] birthday today . He wrote to CE saying "At 72, what's left seems more important than what's over". Wishing bioramani a very happy birthday! 😀
CEans, Do you believe that "pen is mightier than the sword"? why or why not???
i want to install chat(between users) feature. How can it be done in joomla cms?
this ones a simple debate . Can someone be desperate enough to refer to brain dumps and not do it the right way? everyone knows that braindumps are stolen exam...