Windows 8 disk showing 100% usage in task manager.Why so?

Even when it's idle it shows 100%.
What I did: Disabled start up programs which are not required.
Increased page file min the same size of my ram and max the double of my ram.
Performed error checking nothing found.
Scanned for viruses.
Still can't figure out why it's so.

Replies

• pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Even when it's idle it shows 100%.
    What I did: Disabled start up programs which are not required.
    Increased page file min the same size of my ram and max the double of my ram.
    Performed error checking nothing found.
    Scanned for viruses.
    Still can't figure out why it's so.
    Even Windows server 2012 has same issue.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not sure if this would help - but if you have an anti-virus running (especially AVAST), try uninstalling it and see if it helps.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not sure if this would help - but if you have an anti-virus running (especially AVAST), try uninstalling it and see if it helps.
    No I dont have avast I have kaspersky.
  • travislysander
    travislysander
    Thanks for sharing useful information.
    travislysander
    Thanks for sharing useful information.
    What useful did you find here?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Is your Task Manager setup to show the usage done by each running application? If not, open Task Manager -> View -> Select Columns. Once there, tick the "CPU Usage".

This should enable you to see the usage by each app. Click "Show processes from all users" to get the complete list. You may click the CPU column so it'll sort the process ascending or descending as per the CPU usage.

Report what's in there that's using the CPU all the time.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, it could be Kaspersky then. At this time, what @[Prototype] suggested looks like the best thing to do.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    [Prototype]
    Is your Task Manager setup to show the usage done by each running application? If not, open Task Manager -> View -> Select Columns. Once there, tick the "CPU Usage".

This should enable you to see the usage by each app. Click "Show processes from all users" to get the complete list. You may click the CPU column so it'll sort the process ascending or descending as per the CPU usage.

Report what's in there that's using the CPU all the time.
    yes you are correct I shall check what in there, as this problem is faced by many windows 8 users or it maybe a bug in windows 8
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    thank you people😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    This sounds so much like memory leak to me. And if the bug as you're saying is experienced by many users, then certainly it is massive bug. Memory leaks makes your PC, a bloated, laggy device.AFAIK, most of the distro maintainers try to fix memory leaks at first, it's always been the primary priority. And, there could be plenty reasons for memory leaks - memory leaks from drivers, from OS stacks, maybe even from some application.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Abhishek Rawal
    This sounds so much like memory leak to me. And if the bug as you're saying is experienced by many users, then certainly it is massive bug. Memory leaks makes your PC, a bloated, laggy device.AFAIK, most of the distro maintainers try to fix memory leaks at first, it's always been the primary priority. And, there could be plenty reasons for memory leaks - memory leaks from drivers, from OS stacks, maybe even from some application.
    Thanks for the information , for installing mint I have reinstalled windows 8 . when I open the task manager for first time it show 100% consumption some times but latter it goes down that's ok earlier I had lagging and programs not responding issue, lets see now how it works. Even though windows 8 is not the best but for some reason I like using it more than windows 7.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Idea Cellular, one of the leading telecom network providers in India has launched the next generation Net Setter 3G dongle with a price tag of Rs. 2160. The dongle promises...
Maxx Mobiles has launched a new feature phone at dirt cheap price targeted at rural markets in India with - Maxx MX100 Leader Feature phone. In fact, Telecom Minister Kapil...
Airtel has hinted over twitter that in about 3 weeks, Bangalore Internet fanatics will be able to use voice services over their existing 4G network. It's expected that Airtel 4G...
Often we are surrounded by people who can't express themselves well in words. Everyone seems to have a pot full of emotions inside, but the introverts among us aren't really...
Following is the list of the topmost Engineering Entrance Exams in India - 1. Joint Entrance Examination Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is an all India common entrance examination which is...