Windows 8.1 With Bing Might Be Offered For Free - Will It Attract Consumers?

In a bid to persuade customers to upgrade to latest versions, Microsoft is planning to announce a free version of the Windows 8.1 operating system. According to a report in The Verge, a new version called ‘Windows 8.1 with Bing’ could be given away at a developers’ conference in April. This version will bundle key Microsoft apps and services. Early versions of the software have already been leaked online and it looks like ‘Windows 8.1 with Bing’ is an experimental project that will bring a low-cost version of Windows to consumers.

The report also suggests that Microsoft is aiming to position Bing-powered version of Windows 8.1 as a free or low-cost upgrade for Windows 7 users. This version may also be offered to PC makers as a part of recent license cuts. It is not completely clear on how committed Microsoft is regarding these plans but the experimental project is a part of its number of initiatives to push its cloud services and apps. Microsoft is largely betting on Bing as a platform, it can monetize in future. It is also considering low-cost or free versions for Windows Phones. Further, the company is mulling towards merging its Windows RT and Windows Phone software into a single version. Major changes have already been made to Windows 8 in order to make it more appealing to customers. It aims to make the new system easier for touchscreen users and give same experience across PCs, phones and tablets.

win8.1

Bing-powered apps are currently bundled into Windows 8.1 and the leaked version of "Windows 8.1 with Bing" does not appear to reveal any significant changes. Recently, Microsoft launched its Windows 8.1 spring update and the company is expected to make a detailed update at its Build developer conference in April.

Should Microsoft ultimately decide to give away Windows for free? Share your views in comments.

Source: Microsoft experimenting with free version of Windows 8.1 - The Verge

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Free may not be the best way to make Windows popular. uBuntu is being offered free of cost for long; but it hasn't really been able to gain bigger market share. One thing is sure; Microsoft's experimenting interesting things under new CEO Satya Nadella.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Free may not be the best way to make Windows popular. uBuntu is being offered free of cost for long; but it hasn't really been able to gain bigger market share. One thing is sure; Microsoft's experimenting interesting things under new CEO Satya Nadella.
    I have a different thought on this,
    A few days back Microsoft announced that windows OS price will be cut by over 90%; now 'THE NEWS' is they had made their mind to distribute 'Windows 8.1 with Bing' as freebie?

May be this is an attempt to fight with Open source community as well 😏
    Nadella may be the reason behind the experimental strategy?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Chirayu Samarth
    Further, the company is mulling towards merging its Windows RT and Windows Phone software into a single version
    Isn't Window RT = Windows Phone software ? 😨

Rajni Jain
    May be this is an attempt to fight with Open source community as well 😏
    I am eager to see who will bring 'convergence' first : Canonical or Microsoft ? The one who does first & better will be ruling! And it seems that Ubuntu will do it better with it's new Mir display server!
    Since MS is closed source, we don't even know what they're developing under hood for convergence, but in Ubuntu I been testing it regularly and it is improving! But I cannot expect convergence before October 2014.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am eager to see who will bring 'convergence' first : Canonical or Microsoft ? The one who does first & better will be ruling! And it seems that Ubuntu will do it better with it's new Mir display server!
    For me, This ('convergence') shouldn't be point to proof greatness, and actually we are not discussing who is better than who.

Abhishek Rawal
    Since MS is closed source,
    Who knows the attempt to make it free is a new step on business front (umm.... Not open source but something similar?)
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Rajni Jain
    For me, This ('convergence') shouldn't be point to proof greatness
    Convergence is a BIG proof of greatness because it will change computing world. Think about one OS image that can be installed in desktop, netbook, tablets, mobile,TV, phablet ... any form factor! It is where OS future is leading.
    (I don't think mark Shuttleworth is that dumb to go against Intel's Weston/Wayland technology & invest developers to work on Mir technology & code it from scratch for convergence)

Rajni Jain
    and actually we are not discussing who is better than who.
    I am sorry if I dragged debate in other direction. But, world(technology) is all about competition & innovation takes place only because of competition. So, if I don't compare two rivals then It won't be fair.

Rajni Jain
    Who knows the attempt to make it free is a new step on business front (umm.... Not open source but something similar?)
    Yep, it might decrease price of gadgets shipped with pre-installed Windows. However, I don't think it will happen as large amount of revenue is gathered because of OS itself. Companies like Windows run by developers who are paid hefty amount & selling their work for free will hurt MS.
    On otherside, opensource OS are community driven, lot of normal users & devs not working in Canonical (or Suse or Fedora or anyother project) give their time & skill in community to improve it, and they don't even care about income.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    Convergence is a BIG proof of greatness because it will change computing world. Think about one OS image that can be installed in desktop, netbook, tablets, mobile,TV, phablet ... any form factor! It is where OS future is leading. (I don't think mark Shuttleworth is that dumb to go against Intel's Weston/Wayland technology & invest developers to work on Mir technology & code it from scratch for convergence)
    Everybody in this world is not a techie person,
    OS's are made for 10% of tech world and 90% of non-Tech world, what do you say about that?

Abhishek Rawal
    I am sorry if I dragged debate in other direction. But, world(technology) is all about competition & innovation takes place only because of competition. So, if I don't compare two rivals then It won't be fair.
    Actually you should feel sorry, for an attempt for running the one of the most viewed thread for a pointless discussion.

Please stop this discussion here, and have another thread for that.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Rajni Jain
    Everybody in this world is not a techie person,
    OS's are made for 10% of tech world and 90% of non-Tech world, what do you say about that
    This sentence was truth in 1990s. Scenario has changed now. Keep it 35-65 ratio 😉

Rajni Jain
    Actually you should feel sorry, for an attempt for running the one of the most viewed thread for a pointless discussion.
    Sorry for speaking my mind ? Never! I am only speaking the fact on what future OS will be like and trying to discuss anything related to OS & on state of convergence from author's sentence of

Chirayu Samarth
    Further, the company is mulling towards merging its Windows RT and Windows Phone software into a single version.
    (which is nothing but convergence in technical term)

Rajni Jain
    Please stop this discussion here, and have another thread for that.
    Who are you ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Easy.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sorry for speaking my mind ? Never! I am only speaking the fact on what future OS will be like and trying to discuss anything related to OS & on state of convergence from author's sentence of
    Their is entire world for speaking your mind, as if you are trying to prove that you are a physics scientist by writing physics answer in chemistry papers...

Abhishek Rawal
    Who are you ?
    Who doesn't fear to speak the truth, no matter if its against the current or past staff members.

@#-Link-Snipped-# - Please pitch in to stop this and running a amazing thread.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    calm-down-intro
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    Abhishek Rawal
    Isn't Window RT = Windows Phone software ? 😨
    WinRT and WinPhone are not same.

Windows RT is the Windows 8 version for tablets. An example of devices using WinRT is Microsoft Surface tablet series.

Windows Phone is an OS for smartphones. An example of devices using WinPhone is Nokia Lumia series.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Thanks for information 👍
  • Madhava Verma Dantuluri
    Madhava Verma Dantuluri
    Finally, something been offering by MS.
  • S.RAGHURAM
    S.RAGHURAM
    Good thing , MS is offering something for people to go to 8.1

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras aka DSLRs are made as shown in the video below:
It would be very grateful if somebody enlighten me the difference in assumption of hinge or fixed supports in analysis of moment frames and water tanks design etc.
In Year 2010-11, smart phone started registering their presence. 2013-14 will be remembered for the smart wearable devices. In not been days when after success of Gear and Gear Neo,...
Hi, I am doing B.Tech in Computer Science(Ist year) but I am very interested in astronomy and want to make my career in that field only. In what ways can...
Another major security flaw has been discovered in the Android OS. The flaw has been detected in the virtual private network of the Android operating systems in the Indian cyberspace....