Wind Turbine Microcontroller Help!

Hey guys, I'm a senior at a University of California, and I'm working on a wind turbine control system for my Senior Design Project. I'm pretty damn new to microcontrollers, which is what we'll be using, so I'm asking for some help here.

Our team only has to worry about the microcontroller and the chip board. We will need a microcontroller with at least 20 inputs (digital, probably), and some outputs for actuators. It needs internet access.

Now, here is where you guys come in. I have no idea where to start looking. When can I go to learn about microcontrollers, and where do I look for them? Thanks a lot!

Replies

• shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Well..there are many microcontrollers which you can use. I suggest PIC controller manufactured by Microchip simple because I'm well versed with it as well as it is widely used. Just check it out online. It has a serial port for connection to a TCP/IP n/w so internet access is possible. But the data should be provided by some simulator.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    TI is also a good option as you required 20 Inputs and some outputs.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey Friend Jaypooner,

You can go for a relay too.........

It also a good option for auto operations and for forced operations..........

I know micro controller is used in the numerical relay......but instead of going for such hectic i will suggest you that..........

They are easy to program too.........

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • jaypooner
    jaypooner
    Sorry for the late reply!

shreyasm89, are the PIC chips programmable in C? I am asking because I am a little familiar with it, and it would be much easier than trying to learn BASIC or other languages from scratch.

godfather, we have decided on two candidates:

-TI MSP430
    -Siemens C501

d_vipul, can you tell me more about that? I looked it up, and it seems that it is electromechanical. We want some sort of digital interface in the end, because the very end result with be a turbine able to sense the wind direction, wind speed, rotor angle, etc. and then be able to control the nacel yaw, blade direction etc. Very basic turbine functions. Also, the digital part: we might need to connect to a laptop or PC to feed in dummy numbers, to see if the turbine would react correctly, as we are aiming to run the turbine autonomously.
  • PiMDA
    PiMDA
    or you may use any kind of ic programmer
  • daviidwilson
    daviidwilson
    d_vipul
    Hey Friend Jaypooner,

You can go for a relay too.........

It also a good option for auto operations and for forced operations..........

I know micro controller is used in the numerical relay......but instead of going for such hectic i will suggest you that..........

They are easy to program too.........

Regards,
    VIPUL
    d_vipul, can you tell me more about that? I looked it up, and it seems that it is electromechanical. We want some sort of digital interface in the end, because the very end result with be a turbine able to sense the wind direction, wind speed, rotor angle, etc. and then be able to control the nacel yaw, blade direction etc. Very basic turbine functions. Also, the digital part: we might need to connect to a laptop or PC to feed in dummy numbers, to see if the turbine would react correctly, as we are aiming to run the turbine autonomously.

FreeDSL | Free TV, Movies, and Sports Streaming

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends!! cat practical test 2010 is being conducted online in www.catiim.in. Do attend the online test.Hurry up soon!
Second International Conference on Advances in Computer Engineering – ACE 2011 Proc. Archived in IEEE Xplore Date of Function: July 27-28, 2011 The mission of the ACE 2011 International Conference...
Micromax has partnered with Israel Based Modu to bring the lightest touchphone in the world, called Modu T. The phone is available in India for Rs. 12,000. Few Details Here:...
Hello guys! everyone like something to do as a hobby..As i like to play and I also like to watch tv-shows and movies. Recently i have...
Dear all, I want to build a Q&A content scrapping website (similar to questionhub.com). For this purpose, I'm looking out for someone to work with me on web scripts. It...