wind turbine concept

here's a good find I stumbled on-

This Chicago, IL firm is betting an old design will breathe vigor into the alternate energy market. They have designed and produced wind turbines called aeroturbines. Unlike standard prop bladed turbines, these can be used in urban settings, require no overspeed protection and the blades will not rupture in high wind speeds. They are also bird safe. For more info and pictures, take a look at their website:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Dude, thats a great find!

Hm.. here's to hoping the designs are open source πŸ˜‰
  • gohm
    gohm
    yeah, I'm a sucker for old tech being new advanced tech again.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Why don't you try to implement this concept?

I'm trying to work on some solar tracker circuit for my CubeSat project. I'm thinking of using it for general purpose solar tracking at home too. It did say that using the wind turbine and solar power together would be good πŸ˜‰
  • gohm
    gohm
    wow, good idea, I always secretly wished I was an engineer for GE in the alternative energy dept working on wind projects! If I can wrangle time I could explore this. I will need to insure nothing infringes on their designs and devices (you can purchase the units from them). Any suggestions on ways to change and improve this concept for a alternate design?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm, maybe we can have something that utilizes hot air within a cycle? In case there is no breeze at all. Perhaps using it with simplified version of the Stirling engine.
  • gohm
    gohm
    So is your tracker running during the day or 24/7? What form of power is it running on?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    gohm
    So is your tracker running during the day or 24/7? What form of power is it running on?
    My proposed design runs 24/7, because the CubeSat can be exposed to the Sun anytime during orbit (unless I'm given accurate orbital calculations from the Aerospace gals, which is very unlikely at this stage of development).

It'll run on batteries, but hopefully it'll not suck up that much juice. The design of the tracker is that of a dome, with light sensors (LDRs or photodiodes) on it pointing at different directions. So in a way, it can detect the sun anywhere in the upper "hemisphere" of the satellite, assuming the bottom always points down to earth. Thus, the tracker itself is static. The only thing that moves will be the solar panels, moved by servos.

I'm not sure if that design is efficient for a ground based solar system, since you can have a tracker with only 4 light sensors and on a single axis. The path of the sun going to be more predictable. Though, a 2 axis tracker would work best and most suited for autonomous operations.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi engineeres😎😎😎 can anyone tell me how i can commperss air in minimum money & sufficent quntity?πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•
now i do my b.tech in mechanical engineering.. and i am looking here for new and relevant paper presentation topics on aerospace.. plese let me know what i want...and i...
Hiii all, In a wireless channel, which of these 2 noise is more commonly present- AWGN or gaussian noise? I know its almost the same but which one is more...
hey guys am new to this site nice to join here
UFOs (Unidentified Flying Objetcs) have always gathered attentions of numerous people. A lot has alerady been spoken, talked,written and debated about them. There are many people who claim they have...