Will Voice & Gestures Replace Keyboards & Mouse?

I think it started when Apple made a big deal about Siri - the natural voice processing software. Since the many electronic giants have followed the trend and have announced their own voice recognition & natural language processing software on smartphones and tablets. I'm wondering if these new technologies, as they mature will replace keyboards and mouse - which continue to be the major input devices/mechanisms while interacting with computers.

What do you think?

Replies

• avii
    avii
    short answer no. atleast as of now or coming few years.
  • Harish Kotra
    Harish Kotra
    I would say yes. A big yes and that is totally possible but it would take time to adapt to various countries as there is a big issue of the accent being used. Making applications or devices detect the accent according to the location or something like that is seriously a critical issue but at the same it is not doable. So we can expect something more outta these devices as we have seen from the normal keyboard and mouse stuff how technology evolved into touch screens and now with an example of Google Glass, it is possible for voice interfaces to take over too.
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    I say it won't replace, but they would surely dominate. Because admit it, not all the old things die out that soon.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Every technology has its own way of developing and in the past decade we have seen how people tend to flow towards the think that is Cool as well as Cheap. Voice and gestures are cool but from point of security, they are quite vulnerable even at extreme developed stage If a contemporary bio-metric authorization is not assigned supplemented with it. They will surely dominate over hardware and as we have already seen, this innovation is already materialized, "Google Glass". It is the first version but it may not be primitive to say that this technology will evolve into something that "HAS A HARD POTENTIAL" to replace all the laptops and phones. It has a "Huge Potential" but that is gonna take a long way to go through. Voice and Gestures are not comfortable to use in public, it will be safe in private environment. so in countries like India, it won't replace hardware but in other nations where people have more 'space' they can rule and bring a big transformation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Panasonic India has today launched its new 'out of the world' smartphone called the Panasonic P51 at Rs. 26,900/-. If you're someone who keeps an eye for the gadget-related news,...
Hi everyone i'm new to programming and i have a project in which i have to use 4 threads to execute 4 methods using pthreads, let m1, m2, m3, m4...
Hi everyone, I was looking for a low power audio op amp for a project. I'll be using a 5V source and the input coming form pin 9 of an...
Hi there, In Network theorems, we say that in any Linear Bilateral Network.....(bla bla bla...) But Could anyone tell me the exact meaning of Linear and Bilateral? Thanks in advance.....
We usually use Wired internet in our places which is quite good. However, now I am going out of my place and need to know, which wireless internet is good...