Will This End Microsoft Gaming Era ?

Valve's CEO Gabe Newell ditched Windows 8 & announced support for Steam on Linux last year. Following to that, he also announced SteamOS which is fork of Debian OS.

Recently, Crytek announced CryEngine 3 support for Linux. FYI, CryEngine 3 was used in development of some awesome games like Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Warface, Lichdom,etc. CRYENGINE adds Linux Support as Crytek Prepare to Offer New Possibilities at GDC | Crytek

Adding more, Epic Games, the developer team behind Unreal Engine announced support for native Linux games, Valve's Steamworks & Steam Box. #-Link-Snipped-#

GOG.com recently announced support for Linux : Good Old Games (GOG) Recently Announced Support For Linux Platform. and #-Link-Snipped-# will be out for Linux by Summer end.

As if these ain't enough to start debate regarding fading of dominancy of Windows in Gaming, here are few more :
Valve's openGL debugger opensourced : GitHub - ValveSoftware/vogl: OpenGL capture / playback debugger.
Valve's Direct3D to openGL translation layer opensourced : GitHub - ValveSoftware/ToGL: Direct3D to OpenGL abstraction layer

Both Linux & OS X will get benefit as both of 'em uses openGL & not Direct3D.

What's your opinion ? Will this interest of Big teams in Linux will put end to Microsoft gaming era ? Maybe in 2 more years ?
If yes - why ? If no - why ? Throw your opinion!

Debate on !

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    These launches are not about ending Microsoft's era or taking it down, its about connecting to Linux users, All those who use Microsoft only for gaming and work on Linux certainly do not have a genuine windows. So Microsoft is not losing there. Plus it will increase the variety of users of Linux to come into PC gaming world.

And Microsoft does not bank on PC Gaming much. It has its own XboX thing which keeps it alive as much as others in the gaming industry just fine. Game developers made games for Microsoft is not Microsoft's business. They are not paying royalty to Microsoft. So yeah, There is nothing to lose but win-win situation. Microsoft maybe having an advantage here btw. All these consoles are new. They are bound to fail more often and it will yet again revive importance of Windows in PC Gaming.

Moving ahead of this, I m waiting for the announcement for dedicated OS in Gaming hardware like PS or xbox etc. Now that will bring real competition.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nayan Goenka
    Moving ahead of this, I m waiting for the announcement for dedicated OS in Gaming hardware like PS or xbox etc. Now that will bring real competition.
    Gabe Newell already implemented it! A dedicated OS for games with VR support too! It is known as SteamOS 😁

Nayan Goenka
    And Microsoft does not bank on PC Gaming much. It has its own XboX thing which keeps it alive as much as others in the gaming industry just fine. Game developers made games for Microsoft is not Microsoft's business. They are not paying royalty to Microsoft. So yeah, There is nothing to lose but win-win situation. Microsoft maybe having an advantage here btw. All these consoles are new. They are bound to fail more often and it will yet again revive importance of Windows in PC Gaming.
    Ridiculous!
    If all AAA games would be supporting Linux based distro or OS X then no one would really pay extra 3K INR for Windows. They would rather prefer free & better OS or OS X. So, Windows users will decrease, so does their remuneration. So, how is it win-win ? I don't understand.

Nayan Goenka
    All those who use Microsoft only for gaming and work on Linux certainly do not have a genuine windows.
    That might be case in India and other asian countries where anti-piracy laws are not strict. In other developed countries, afaik things are not same.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    No, this will not end the Microsoft gaming era. Reasons are as follows:

There are still way too many Windows users in the world - According Operating system market share >85 percent of computers use a version of Windows. Linux sadly counts for 1.8% only.

People are too familiar to Windows to let it go
    - I am pretty sure most of us started our PC education with a Windows and most find it hard to let it go. This can be easily proven by the fact that after numerous threats from Microsoft regarding upgrading from Windows XP people still continue to use it.

Hardware support for gaming peripherals – Some serious PC gamers aren’t content with just the keyboard and mouse. I have seen people invest for a gaming peripheral like a Steering Wheel and handheld controllers (Gamepads). Pick up any off-the-shelf product and you will find that it says on the cover that it works with Windows or a Mac. There might be ways to make these accessories compatible with Linux but I am not aware of that.

I agree with #-Link-Snipped-# 's view that this will invite people who use Linux to get into the action but I am sure Windows can never be wiped out of the PC gaming scene.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    Ridiculous!
    If all AAA games would be supporting Linux based distro or OS X then no one would really pay extra 3K INR for Windows. They would rather prefer free & better OS or OS X. So, Windows users will decrease, so does their remuneration. So, how is it win-win ? I don't understand.
    Game developers are investing in Linux because they want to connect to linux users. Since most of the linux users are youth and mid age people and are potential gamers, this move is coming in picture. This is not to take down Microsoft. You see it from there. And Windows is not a platform based OS. If not only gaming, it has all other uses. And hardly 0.00000000000000000001% exist in the world who use a computer to play only games and that too high-end ones. So IF they have already bought a computer to play only games, he already has Windows there (even if genuine) so he won't see any sense to migrate to Linux now.

Free and better OS as Linux is justified only if it platform based development. Like in dedicated systems like PS5 console in built system. For general use, Windows owns. SteamOS is a good move but how many people use Computer only to play on Steam? If its a platform based OS, its already a fail. If it is a general utility, maybe it will fit in somewhere just fine.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nayan Goenka
    SteamOS is a good move but how many people use Computer only to play on Steam? If its a platform based OS, its already a fail. If it is a general utility, maybe it will fit in somewhere just fine.
    I respect your opinion in every other aspect, as this debate is as controversial as Modi versus Kejriwal 😉
    But! SteamOS is just an OS ? Seriously dude! read more.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Popcorn Time is the opensource application which streams the torrent pirated movies. It is based on YIFY API. Recently, due to legal issues & too much of popularity from all...
Open MS-Word and type "=rand(200,99)" without double quotes, then press Enter key. Explain the reason behind the incident happened after doing so.😀
Greetings to everyone, I am Sumit Thakur. Please don't go on my username, its just that it stroked me at the time of registration. Well, I am from Himachal Pradesh,...
Most of the PC users have windows installed. Actually it doesn't matter in this case. I just want to know that how the User account passwords work in windows? Where...
Intex, the Indian smartphone manufacturer is eyeing the low-key domestic market. The company officially launched two budget phones Cloud X1+ and Cloud Y11. According to the mobile business head at...