Will Opensource Hardware Work ?

Opensource softwares are dominating the world, like it or not. The way Opensource is moving ahead, seems like every sector will be Opensource soon.
There was ProjectVGA back then, for Opensource GPU with FPGA which failed due to less number of support. However in last few years everyone have started perching Opensource, but that's for software sector.

Do you think Opensource hardware will ever work ? No, we're not discussing about Opensource development board here but about Opensource smartphones, Opensource GPUs, Opensource Mouse , Opensource whatever hardware.
Do you think, Opensource hardware can make out it's way ?
Do you think, Opensource hardware will work ?

Comment your views below.

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    It would be tough.

for the folks around the world, its easier to work for Open source community when it comes to software design and development. For hardware dedication and management would be required that can come only from propriety things. Right?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Check this thread : #-Link-Snipped-#
    We had a healthy discussion & people mentioned very valid points regarding Opensource gpu.

As there are less Engineers who understand how hardware is developed, this domain will not get support as much opensource software gets.
    But, opensource hardwares can help many Electronics entrepreneurs to jump into silicon industry without any problem.

Let's hear views of other CEans.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Can someone briefly explain what 'opensourced hardware' is?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Can someone briefly explain what 'opensourced hardware' is?
    In opensource hardware, you have access to all the database of the hardware which is used in the development of the hardware.
    Let's take example of intel : Intel made a X processor, which runs at Y GHz speed. We simply knows that Intel uses this method to do so, but only workers(only veterans) at intel knows what is the reason(technical reason, method used,etc.) behind high performance of the chip, which Intel never lets the information go out of the cabin.
    In Opensource hardware, you'll have access to each & every bit of concept used in development of the hardware.

Compare it with software, you have code source: all you have to do is compile & build.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I don't think open source hardware is just limited to CPUs and GPUs. Its because we compared it to software we think we need to know every single transistor of a chip. The "source" can be defined at different hardware levels.

Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Pandora & RepRap are also examples of open source hardware and how it can promote customizability and reduce costs.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ash
    I don't think open source hardware is just limited to CPUs and GPUs.
    Agreed on that, Hardware development is very vague field.I was just giving example.
    Opensource hardware will require billions of donations, unlike Opensource software development.Opensource Software development can be a hobby,Opensource Hardware development can't be.

ash
    Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Pandora & RepRap are also examples of open source hardware and how it can promote customizability and reduce costs.
    Raspberry Pi is open hardware like arduino ?
    I mean I haven't found a schematic with hardware manufacturing details for RPi. You can DIY Arduino, but can you DIY RPi ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    ash
    R pi is not open source my friend no GPU is not open sourced by their manufacturer I looked to tweak that board But I had little help from google so I had to drop it completely
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Conqueror
    R pi is not open source my friend no GPU is not open sourced by their manufacturer I looked to tweak that board But I had little help from google so I had to drop it completely
    I think you've missed my earlier point 😛 Just because GPU is not open, does not make RPi a closed sourced over all. You're comparing hardware & software like apples and oranges. Why do you want hardware open? Its basically to reduce cost and allow flexibility yes?

#-Link-Snipped-#, RPi schematics are freely available online.

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

4 days ago on Ubuntu official website, there was countdown going on. Finally yesterday countdown end & Canonical announced Ubuntu Edge. What is Ubuntu Edge ? The next generation smartphone...
KDE's Vivaldi Tablet, formerly known as KDE spark; was in development for so long, recently Aaron Siego have confirmed that KDE Vivaldo tablet has been shipped for QA testing as...
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP- the traffic-regulating system that avoids internet congestion by spewing out various algorithms) is the reason you're reading this post. While every version of TCP is evolving...
The movie based on Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' life, called 'Jobs' will release in India on August 16. The movie will be officially released by PVR pictures. The movie features...
The common umbrella sucks. No matter how we look at it, everything is wrong with its design. When the rains come lashing from right and left and back and front,...