Will Next Google / Facebook Come From India?

There has always been a discussion about why India has not produced a global IT company that doesn't act as a service center for the leading software/IT/hardware/banking companies, despite having a huge engineering talent.

There are people who say that the tide is changing and the next Google or Facebook will be born out of India. Do you think this will happen? If yes - why? If not - why?

Replies

• max0077
    max0077
    The_Big_K
    There has always been a discussion about why India has not produced a global IT company that doesn't act as a service center for the leading software/IT/hardware/banking companies, despite having a huge engineering talent.

There are people who say that the tide is changing and the next Google or Facebook will be born out of India. Do you think this will happen? If yes - why? If not - why?
    i don't think so..there is a huge difference in our education system and their education system and Facebook and Google are one of it's kind of things which can't be repeated in future ( atleast 10 or 20 years)..
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Well I don't think the education system is the only reason for this. I think its the viewpoint which needs to be changed. People seem to appreciate foreign goods instead of local even if the local one is better, so even if somebody today creates something better than Facebook, the response from the customers will not be great unless it creates an impression outside India.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    max0077
    i don't think so..there is a huge difference in our education system and their education system and Facebook and Google are one of it's kind of things which can't be repeated in future ( atleast 10 or 20 years)..
    Education system could be responsible, but it'd be better if you could share your thoughts on how the education system does not allow FB or Google to be created. Now, I'm using the company names only as 'representatives'. It could be Apple, Twitter, Dell, Nokia, Samsung or any other company that is truly global with their products.

#-Link-Snipped-# : Could you write a bit more on the viewpoint that you're mentioning and how is it responsible for Indians not being able to produce anything that can be truly global? I think you've a good point there; but there's no example available that something better than FB or Google has been created but didn't work because it was/is Indian.
  • max0077
    max0077
    The_Big_K
    Education system could be responsible, but it'd be better if you could share your thoughts on how the education system does not allow FB or Google to be created. Now, I'm using the company names only as 'representatives'. It could be Apple, Twitter, Dell, Nokia, Samsung or any other company that is truly global with their products.
    My point in difference in edu. system is that we taught for the exam purpose only(not talking about IIT's/IIM's or IISc) that's why we end up learning very few things.same thing happened with me as i previously thought i know lot in the field of computer science by completing my BE but later i realized that i know very few in this field and i have to excel myself in lots of things/areas.So , basically their school students know more than our graduate students that's why Mark zuckerberg and Bill gates ended up with making Facebook and Microsoft as they both are Howard dropouts and never even completed their garduation..
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    The_Big_K

#-Link-Snipped-# : Could you write a bit more on the viewpoint that you're mentioning and how is it responsible for Indians not being able to produce anything that can be truly global? I think you've a good point there; but there's no example available that something better than FB or Google has been created but didn't work because it was/is Indian.
    The thing I am talking about is that, in my opinion Indian software does not gets the acceptance it deserves in the home market. For example: Not much of people know about Epic web browser which was Indian web browser and only few have used it, So the thing is, encouragement is required from the local customer side to boost the Indian Software.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Epic web browser uses Mozilla engine at the backend; so it's just your firefox with a new skin. I'd not call it an 'Indian product'. Had someone created a completely new rendering engine from scratch - I'd have definitely tried it.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    I don't think education system matters to that extent. Isn't CrazyEngineers found by OP, who is an Indian? Did the education system prohibit him from doing so?

I know education system in India is a problem and is faulty.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    We can point fingers at many in these issues other than our selves

We Indian Engineers many times lack the guts and will to stand against the crowd and develop our own products. If this is there a lot of products will have "Made in INDIA" tag with it
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just a quick and dirty question : How many web developers feel confident that they can code a Yammer clone in less than a week? If you can; you are just wasting your time doing useless jobs. Just get your team together and start working on a product that solves some real problem.

I'm confident there would be several venture capitalists who'd be willing to invest in your company. 😀
  • kushalbansal
    kushalbansal
    My point in difference in edu. system is that we taught for the exam purpose only(not talking about IIT's/IIM's or IISc) that's why we end up learning very few things.same thing happened with me as i previously thought i know lot in the field of computer science by completing my BE but later i realized that i know very few in this field and i have to excel myself in lots of things/areas.So , basically their school students know more than our graduate students that's why Mark zuckerberg and Bill gates ended up with making Facebook and Microsoft as they both are Howard dropouts and never even completed their garduation..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Most of the projects or research, I believe has been aimed at improving the efficiency of conversion of solar energy to electrical (solar cells) or heat energy (solar heaters). I'm...
Hello friend's As we know android rocks on mobiles and tablets. Some of my friend's are saying that android desktop version is coming and this time Microsoft finds a big...
By an official tweet ; samsung galaxy s4 is likely to be released on march 14.. here is a glimpse of s4
We, the students. People are allowed to make mistakes, but we aren't. Your comments?
As you people know, every Indian Parents wants their son to be an Engineer, every Indian parent wants their daughter to marry an engineer too. Isn't this foolish? There are...