Will Dropbox Survive The Competition From Google Drive & SkyDrive?

Now that Google Drive is official, it's evident that Google's taking Dropbox head-on; with lower pricing, integration with Google Docs, more free space and so on. Google has invested a lot in building a great infrastructure which it can use to offer free space and more goodies to its users. Plus Google enjoys a large user-base in the form of Gmail, Google Accounts, Google Apps and so on. The competition is directly between an internet giant and a small startup company.

Currently the only visible advantage Dropbox has over the Skydrive and Google Drive is that it has its own apps for all the platforms including desktop and mobile. Google, obviously will tightly integrate the Gdrive into Android and has already promised an iOS app. Skydrive will be tightly integrated with Windows 8 OS and upcoming windows mobile. It'd be interesting to see how their apps for iOS and android (if they ever release it for Android) work.

Given all the various factors, do you think a small startup company like Dropbox will survive the fierce competition from Google and Microsoft? What should be Dropboxs' strategy to survive and stay on top?

Replies

• manishks
    manishks
    Dropbox will definetly face strong competition from google drive! They need to come up with something to attract users! Like increase the free space provided for new users, etc etc. But the advantage google drive have is, the large user base which it enjoys in form of gmail, gapps etc(as biggie mentioned above).
    Dropbox is going to have tough time competing with google drive!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I am lost in Google Drive terms & conditions😕.
    does it saying that if I am uploading something, google can see it and use it??
    Not clear about it. what does means intellectual material??😒
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, Google's TOS and pretty hard and so are Skydrive and Dropboxs'. In simpler terms; if you post your 'research' stuff in Google Drive; you *may* find that someone from Google has already 'encashed' it. Because Google can use your stuff at their own will. You wont' have a say.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The_Big_K
    Yes, Google's TOS and pretty hard and so are Skydrive and Dropboxs'. In simpler terms; if you post your 'research' stuff in Google Drive; you *may* find that someone from Google has already 'encashed' it. Because Google can use your stuff at their own will. You wont' have a say.
    😲 This is what google drive hyped for so long time.No rights or privacy!!!
    It kind of discouraging towards google cloud computing.
  • Debi Stevens
    Debi Stevens
    No doubt Dropbox will feel the effects of Google Drive. There's a great infographic that summarizes it here: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Specialized document sharing providers may be OK, but I don't know about the generic document sharing space. Nobody can really compete with the level of vertical integration Google has. It really is a 'category killer'
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've been using Google Drive since the day it was launched but I seem to go back to Dropbox. I think it's too early to call it a 'category killer'. Google definitely has an edge in terms of reach; but dropbox is innovating. Competition is better for us, the end users.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

And can please anybody share their experience or their friends'
Prove that the positive integers that cannot be written as sums of two or more consecutive integers are precisely the powers of 2.
A piece of wire 16 inches long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent to form a square and the other is bent to form a circle. Where...
Given a singly-linked list, devise a time and space efficient algorithm to find the mth element from the end of the list. If m = 0, then your algorithm should...
Engineering manager at a structural precast concrete plant in California, USA