wifi vs wimax for industry and smart grid

i hear a lot about smart grids and industries that they are using wifi networks for communication and controlling devices instead of cables. why are they using Wifi instead of Wimax? Wifi was developed for mobile devices like laptops on the other hand wimax is replacement to cable and DSL. i may be wrong but wimax is alot powerful than wifi.It has high band width and also more range.
are wifi and wimax 3G or 4G?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Back then..
    WiMAX:
    - Large coverage (enhanced with use if MIMO)
    - Considered cheap to deploy (if many devices on market to drive chipset cost down)
    - Inherent IP architecture makes it perfect for data applications (eg utility monitoring)
    - Low power consumption for device

WiFi:
    - Device is power hungry
    - Short coverage, need to connect to some other hotspot. Even WiMAX was considered as back haul
    - Only good thing is its cheap

Now
    WiMAX:
    - Cost of deployment depends on where you are really. Some countries WiMAX has better prominence and coverage, others have difficulty penetrating the market due to competition by GSM/CDMA networks upgrading to LTE (e.g US). If there is no high demand for a particular technology, vendors are not enticed to sell equipment at bulk prices. So its expensive and also no point if there is no coverage!

WiFi
    - Power consumption is much lower
    - Still cheaper as it has prominent use
    - Using hotspot for back haul may be a better option anyway. The hotspot device may just cover a particular street or building with WiFi and the back haul will be network agnostic (be it WiMAX, 3G, LTE etc)

However, in the case of utilities, there are many other technologies available to them for monitoring, such as powerline broadband for fixed, and Zigbee as an alternative to WiFi.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how would you Explain Capacitor, Inductor and Resistor to a layman ?????
England midfielder Frank Lampard's infamous un-allowed goal against Germany in FIFA world cup 2010 has raised some questions for the manual decisions vs inclusion of Goal line technologies. At half...
Tripura is all set to set-up an Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) in Bodhjungnagar. The identified location for the proposed institute in Bodhjungnagar, is some 25 km from state...
It asks me to write something about myself. Well, I'm pretty excited to be here in this forum. I want to meet just anyone who wants to. Anyway, here it...
hei..i just finished my civil engineering degree...here i would like to share with you guys about our field....