Wi-Charge Invents Smartphone Charging Technology Using Non-Hazardous Infrared Light

Wi-Charge, an Israel based company founded in 2010, claims to have cracked the code to wirelessly charging mobile devices. Wi-Charge has achieved this by using non-hazardous infrared light emitted from hotspots that can be setup anywhere. Best part of this mechanism is that it requires no action from the user to initiate it. Whenever the device comes in range of the hotspot’s coverage, the battery starts to charge automatically. That makes it seem like smartphone batteries are the perpetual energy source since the sun.

wi-charge-infrared-charging-mechanism

Nowadays, a lot of companies are trying to achieve wireless charging, but through different methods. Samsung Galaxy S6 and Google Nexus 6P have introduced it already, and Apple is rumored to be working on it for the Apple Reportedly Working on Advanced Wireless Charging Technology - 2017 Beckons. Although Qi wireless charging technique is not entirely wireless and requires the device to be placed on an inductive mat, Wi-Charge’s infrared mechanism seems the best solution yet.

Another considerable advantage of Wi-Charge infrared hotspots is that they can power multiple devices of various types, simultaneously. With the Internet of Things bringing every passive object to life, the number of devices requiring power too is exponentially growing.

Wi-Charge claims that the infrared rays used on their hotspots are perfectly safe and are not hazardous in any way. Also, the light used is of low wavelength, so the range is very wide and devices can be quite far away and still be charged efficiently. They also use two Retro Reflectors which reflect light back to the source, unlike a regular mirror which reflects depending on the angle of light rays. These Retro Reflectors are used in safety clothing and bicycle reflectors. They also adjust themselves to optimize charging, so there is no calibration required either.

Seemingly the only downside to this mechanism is that one of these Retro Reflectors might need to be incorporated into the device, so they will have to work with device manufacturers. This might stall widespread adoption, but it is too soon to say for sure.

Source: The Wireless Power Company | Wi-Charge

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Every commercial aeroplane enthusiast knows about Boeing’s flagship aeroplane the 737. What you probably didn’t know that Boeing is all set to refresh its line-up with the Boeing 737 MAX...
Hi can anyone please tell me that how can i give 12 volts to this connector J1 through which led blows?
Can anyone give me some suggetion for problem on which i can work out for project that can be practical and can be used in our day to day activity...
Bulk password theft has been a problem that has plagued many companies such as Adobe, Playstation Network, Talk Talk and Ashley Madison. Cyber criminals manage to find their way into...
What are the advantages for a chemical engineer to learn programming