Why would Experience overrule Freshness as age increases??

Take any field: politics, engineering, accountancy, etc; everywhere experienced people are at the top of the ladder but often the ideas lie with the freshers. So what really makes experience to overrule freshness even as the age of people increases with experience???

Best debatable example: Steve Ballmer vs Mark Zuckerberg

Looking for a mixed response!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good debate topic; but the examples you've quoted are special cases 😀 . I don't agree that ideas lie only with the freshers. In my opinion; there's no substitute to experience; no matter of formal education can compensate for experience!

But that can of course be challenged. Take architecture for example. An experienced architect may always do the job perfectly, in the way he/she has been doing it all his/her life. But a fresher *may* bring fresh approach that hasn't been thought before. At the same time, a creative architect, irrespective of his/her experience, can bring in great ideas.

However, for most of the jobs; an experienced person will always have an upper hand over the fresher.
  • X-Engineer
    X-Engineer
    For freshers ..extra training needs to be provided to become expertised in a particular domain..
    But for experienced ,he is already in a flow of expertising the activity in the domain.
    Hence recreuiters prefer experienced people over freshers
    especially in IT fileld ..I have seen this..
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    X-Engineer
    For freshers ..extra training needs to be provided to become expertised in a particular domain..
    But for experienced ,he is already in a flow of expertising the activity in the domain.
    Hence recreuiters prefer experienced people over freshers
    especially in IT fileld ..I have seen this..
    This same iT won't recruit you after you have reached a particular age. After that you'd handle more of a manager level post than do the actual job.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Age is just biology. The ideas can be fresh. In areas like engineering a lot depends on whether the job is routine or creative.
    The experience of age will win most of the time at routine jobs. Experience of past mistakes and glitches can be invaluable.
    In creative activity, the process ensures new ideas provided the person is a true creator.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I strongly believe that talent should be recognized so I don't care which age the candidate belongs to.If he/she fulfills my requirement,I would be happy to recruit him/she.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    I strongly believe that talent should be recognized so I don't care which age the candidate belongs to.If he/she fulfills my requirement,I would be happy to recruit him/she.
    And you'll certainly desire to find that required candidate with minimum amount of work, time and expense. So that's why, if you've a special requirement, you generally look for experienced professionals and they are more likely to hit your requirements.

As opposed to freshers, no doubt there are talented people around, but they will be like 1 out to 10000 or more. So to find someone who suits your requirement would be like finding a needle in a haystack. There's no reason why you'll do that when you've another option which is more effective, easy and quick.

In general, freshers are like block of clay. You can make them pot or designer artwork or an dish. It takes time for that. If you're extremely thirsty or hungry, you'll rather prefer to get a ready made pot or a dish than picking up the clay and molding it to your specifications.

I totally agree its unjust to not acquire freshers, but its really logical. The company can't afford to waste time, especially now when world is moving so fast. It's kind of situation where both the parties have valid reasons.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    [Prototype]
    if you've a special requirement, you generally look for experienced professionals and they are more likely to hit your requirements.

As opposed to freshers, no doubt there are talented people around, but they will be like 1 out to 10000 or more. So to find someone who suits your requirement would be like finding a needle in a haystack. There's no reason why you'll do that when you've another option which is more effective, easy and quick.

I totally agree its unjust to not acquire freshers, but its really logical. The company can't afford to waste time, especially now when world is moving so fast. It's kind of situation where both the parties have valid reasons.
    I agree to the fact that experienced people would be handy but i strongly believe that todays (present) candidates are very quick in learning and they can cope up to the task given to them.

Experience alone cant make a person to a expert. There are many people who feed on experience and the truth is that a person cannot become an expert by experience alone.It requires more dedication towards work and passion towards it.So it all depends upon requirement and "Necessity is mother of all inventions"
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    I agree to the fact that experienced people would be handy but i strongly believe that todays (present) candidates are very quick in learning and they can cope up to the task given to them.

Experience alone cant make a person to a expert. There are many people who feed on experience and the truth is that a person cannot become an expert by experience alone.It requires more dedication towards work and passion towards it.So it all depends upon requirement and "Necessity is mother of all inventions"
    Agree that experience can't make a person expert, but he's like machine doing some job. They are well suited for it. Their hands automatically move to do certain work when they see or hear certain requirements.

However, as opposed to your view, my thought is that, present generation of engineers are engineers not because they want to be. Many of them will opt for courses like MBA or similar and would rather love to not work as Engineer. In crowd of those, it's really tough to pick up the one who's really passionate over engineering. So the present scenario is even worse. They might be fast learners but a fish cannot learn to climb a tree and a monkey cannot learn to live underwater. They are simply not meant for that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Actually GPS is using satellite services which don't need internet connection.But since relying only on GPS takes more time for locking the location we make use of internet. My doubt...
I observed that the handset cord of landlines are always culrly and the mounting cords are always straight. Is there any special reason so that the handset cords are curly?...
A while back we saw Microsoft trying to revive its Surface franchise of tablets with the introduction of an updated OS and new hardware. Even before Nokia was acquired by...
Nokia has launched three new smartphones in the Nokia Asha series today with Nokia Asha 500, Asha 502 and Asha 503 at the Nokia World in Abu Dhabi. The Asha...
today's app developing world is it secure to move forward as an Android/i-phone apps developer or must have some extra skill set with that needed?