Why we use NIC while connecting any server with workstation ?

Hello CEan's
As we know we use NIC(network interface card) to connect a server and a workstations(node).
But i don't know why we use this NIC.why don't we connect it directly throught wire and a switching system.Is it use to specify the MAC address or what ?

Anybody have idea about this.

Replies

• rishi0922
    rishi0922
    A network interface card (NIC) is a computer circuit board or card that is installed in a computer so that it can be connected to a network.

Personal computers and workstations on a local area network (LAN) typically contain a network interface card specifically designed for the LAN transmission technology, such as Ethernet or Token Ring.

Network interface cards provide a dedicated, connection to a network. Most home and portable computers connect to the Internet through as-needed dial-up connection. The modem provides the connection interface to the Internet service provider.

this all i know about network interface controller. I hope this will quite help you in this topic...
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    rishi0922
    A network interface card (NIC) is a computer circuit board or card that is installed in a computer so that it can be connected to a network.

Personal computers and workstations on a local area network (LAN) typically contain a network interface card specifically designed for the LAN transmission technology, such as Ethernet or Token Ring.

Network interface cards provide a dedicated, connection to a network. Most home and portable computers connect to the Internet through as-needed dial-up connection. The modem provides the connection interface to the Internet service provider.

this all i know about network interface controller. I hope this will quite help you in this topic...
    I know that rishi.
    Check out my question once more i asked that why network interface card is used.why don't we connect it directly through wire and a switching switching.
    Hope you have any idea about this.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    NICs are needed for the Physical and Data Link layer of packet communications. You can connect them directly using other forms (such as serial connection) and use switching like you mentioned for multiple node connectivity, but these are legacy technology and can be inefficient at times. These days, circuit switching systems (such as in telephony) are being replaced packet switching systems anyway.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Mohit when you say connect where and how are you intending to 'connect' the wires? even before Ethernet arrived, there were other modes of communication which needed specific ports to connect and ports are just a connection point right?its needs a processing card and thus are NICs. only after the advent of Ethernet were the MAC IDs were used rampantly and these MAC IDs are nothing but the unique number assigned to each such card.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the difference between hub,switches and routers ??
Im planning on working in the computer field, and right now I am in an Information Technology school to get my associates in IT. But, I think that I want...
Hey, I'm student of 3rd year Computer Science. I would like to do MS after my graduation. Where I can get the best education? US or UK? What preparations should...
😒I would like to do a project to make deaf and dumb communicate each other... They talk through sign language so can i make digital image processing t make their...
Hello I've modeled something like a wind tunnel and because the fan has a hub at the center (with zero air flow), the flow profile at the end of the...