Why we still don't have robots in our homes?

Every new day we see new robotic marvels. The question might have hit your mind as to why we don't have robots in our homes?

Here are a few reasons I figured out:

1. Hardware. Robots have to work on batteries. We have to cable the robot for a long period of time for it to charge.

2. Intelligence. We still don't have complete knowledge human intelligence. How is it that we accomplish tasks in real world.

3. Arena. In factories, robots are typically designed to accomplish the same task repeatedly for over thousands of times a day. But once we bring a robot into our house or for that matter outdoor, nothing is ever the same twice.

4. Tendency to Imitate: One of the things we learn very early in life is to imitate from parents and friends. This is something that engineers and scientists are still working upon in robotics. And not just imitate but improve on their own while they learn new things.

What do you think about it?

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i oppose the 4th reason
    we cant make robot to much intelligent if we made so they start thinking this may leads to the end of total human life or humans are made as slaves to them
    in my view our technology makes destruction more than construction
    so,we can make them advanced but we cant give them ability to think
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    Hey there,

Hardware reason isn't convincing! Look we don't have problems in recharging the batteries of bots. Now consider ur cell phones, laptops, etc. don't u recharge their batteries? Do u find this reason enough to not being used in homes? i don't! ๐Ÿ˜‰

On the 2nd reason i'd like to say that, for a work, there may be lots of different ways of doing it...sometimes we can't say which is best, but we can only choose our own way of doing a work. eg-> when u fall down, u wanna get up! how will u do that? Someone will first push down with hands and then push down legs to the ground and get up! but robots, as far as i have seen, they curl their legs and use it to pull their rest of the body...as a human we don't follow it coz it's not the obvious way of getting up!

3rd reason seems to me as a valid reason! Otherwise we need to create a huge database for them, for performing infinite number of work at home!

And i feel 4th reason is the answer to ur 3rd reason...if u teach robots to immitate then u can use them in houses as well, not just industries... coz everyday u can show bots the new work they need to do, and they'll immitate us! thats how they'll learn...thats what we do to teach human servants ๐Ÿ˜›
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    narayana murthy
    i oppose the 4th reason
    we cant make robot to much intelligent if we made so they start thinking this may leads to the end of total human life or humans are made as slaves to them
    in my view our technology makes destruction more than construction
    so,we can make them advanced but we cant give them ability to think
    What makes u think robots will, given the power to think with artificial intelligence, inevitably think and wish for the destruction of humans? Coz i believe, if they can think, then they can conclude that humans have MADE them, so they'll be kind towards us...Coz they'll be qualified enough to think that without humans they wouldn't have existed, hence morally, they won't wish for our destruction, we'll be like their gods, they'll worship us or the worst case scenario is that they won't worship us, neverthelless they wont hurt us...this is what i feel
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @limestone: iam saying this considering the people at which level robots can be done they are still like machines
    they are good and bad people
    let us consider nuclear
    we can make ultimate level of electricity from it and there are many good things from it but we are mainly concentrating in war weapons like atom bombs
    like wise if they are at thinking level if we can leave any wrong program in it we cant imagine destruction
    another thing is as you thing they are good at it but if they think us as below level and there is a possibility of thinking as humans are using as servants why cant we make them as like us
    there is another possibility of star wars and robot wars

this my main doubt if they can ensure as the above problems never happens i always accept new technology
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    narayana murthy
    @limestone: iam saying this considering the people at which level robots can be done they are still like machines
    they are good and bad people
    let us consider nuclear
    we can make ultimate level of electricity from it and there are many good things from it but we are mainly concentrating in war weapons like atom bombs
    like wise if they are at thinking level if we can leave any wrong program in it we cant imagine destruction
    another thing is as you thing they are good at it but if they think us as below level and there is a possibility of thinking as humans are using as servants why cant we make them as like us
    there is another possibility of star wars and robot wars

this my main doubt if they can ensure as the above problems never happens i always accept new technology
    i HOPE they keep this in mind whenever they make bots !!! lol
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Before saying anything,I would like to know what you think is the concept of "Robots"?
    If you think it something like Kojiro or Asimo,Then its OK.
    Actually I think robots are nothing but simple machines which help humans (Correct me if I am wrong).
    So actually we are using Robots since long.
    For example Fan, Washing machine,AC etc...
    What says everyone?I am unable to distinguish robots from normal machines...๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜•
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @ishu: i think you are right but not completely there is so many differences between normal machine and robots
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well then can anyone really differentiate between robots and machine?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think this may help you
    Robot
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Ok Robot is a machine. In simple words we can say that all robots are machines but all machines are not robots. A textbook definition of a robot is "a software controllable mechanical device that uses sensors to gide one or more end-effectors through a programmed motions in a workspace in order to manipulate physical objects" as written in Fundamentals of Robotics by Robert j Schilling. And we all know they started with need for automation in production line and they are being used there.
    But now the question, Why the sparing use in the domestic scenario? Ok the first and the foremost reason which I believe is the price. It is too high for a normal household to buy a metal handyman. It looks good in sci-fi flicks, people ordering their bots around...but personally I would fear that future. It would mean we becoming even more lethargic.
    And the other thing is Intelligence. As the definition says, it works on a fixed path. Though with use of sensors we can make the robot respond to its surroundings but then as the number of sensors increase, so would the cost. So I think in the end it all narrows down to the cost.

@Narayan: Anything can be used in a good way or a bad way. It depends on the person using it. Does that mean we should stop developing new technology? I think your point is rather weak.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @raj: i never mean to say we should stop them but i always saying that the new technology and inventions should not disturb the peaceful living of humans i think you didnt noticed the point as i always accept the new technology but i specified as it dont disturb people life and it should be always eco-friendly because we almost distroyed every thing nature so iam so concentrated on nature development and not disturbing it
    i hope you understand what i mean

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Pluggd.in noticed that Airtel's Data Calculator [ airtel ] is 'inspired' from AT&T's data calculator AT&T Data Calculator Just wondering what our CEans think about it? ๐Ÿ˜ . Try out...
i came across a nice tricky question:- let there are two rivers............ river A and river B. water is flowing in river A with some speed, and stagnated ( not...
hey guys, can anyone please suggest how to earn money on internet, without falling into scams and fake websites????? thanks in advance.....................
hey friends i got an idea i think we all had CE ids but i noticed a problem we cant directly login there in google by direct search so my...
Hey ppl, I found this awesome song while surfing. Do hear it once....๐Ÿ˜€ [video=youtube;1eQc_Alj_q8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQc_Alj_q8&feature=player_embedded[/video]