Why we need more spectrum to power the expansion of mobile internet? - Mobile Future

Watch Mobile Future's animation, "Spectrum: Fueling the Mobile Future," which explores the staggering growth in consumer mobile usage and the need to balance the nation's airwaves to meet exploding consumer demand.

Highlights of Spectrum: Fueling the Mobile Future:

The nation's consumers have developed an extraordinary appetite for wireless products and services across a dizzying array of applications and devices. The massive growth of internet mobility, however, is quickly exceeding the available wireless spectrum, the invisible infrastructure that powers the mobile ecosystem. Sharply increasing data consumption could have long-term negative impacts on the consumer experience if additional wireless spectrum is not made available soon.

Wireless Spectrum Usage by the Numbers:

- By 2012, more than half of all new phones purchased will be smartphones.

- A smartphone uses 24x more spectrum than a regular phone. An iPad uses 120x more.

- By 2014, 70% of all consumer electronics will be wirelessly connected to the Internet.

- If we don't allocate more spectrum for mobile, our nation's appetite for wireless will out-strip capacity as soon as 2014.

Don't miss this video:

[video=youtube;L6gtOVDG68g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gtOVDG68g[/video]

What can be the solutions to this problem i.e. the unavailability of the critical resource?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    Re: Why we need more spectrum to power the expansion of mobile internet? - Mobile Fut

unlike 25/2.5G all the so called mobile generations beyond 3g , have more data content than voice content which is mainly what mobiles/telephones were introudec for. As soon as data component creeps in - like online movies/youtube streaming or for that matter mobile games. high data rate is needed which implies heavier bit per second rate is needed. For any given frequency there is a specific limit of how much real number of bits you can send, this number is determined by shannons law of capacity and how ever hard you try , you cannot go beyond it. Shannon law defines the so called limit of channel capacity.
    All the modulation techniques like cdma. ofdm, umts only try to accomodate more users per given channel, but not improve the channel rate as it is.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Re: Why we need more spectrum to power the expansion of mobile internet? - Mobile Fut

Ha!!

It's much easier to talk about creating more spectrum than actually doing it..

2G spectrum consists of frequencies from 900 MHz to 1.8 GHz. 3G spectrum uses 1.8 GHz to 2.2 GHz..

Now, as the frequency of the channel you are using goes up, the power required to transmit that high frequency also goes up.
    It's not a problem for the mobile tower serving you, so downlink is fine. But, it is a problem for the mobile.
    As higher and higher frequencies are used, we need more power to transmit those frequencies.. And what about the heat generated?
    I can already feel my 3G device getting heated up when I use 3G services for an extended period of time.
    If still higher frequencies need to be used, I don't know how we'll manage at the mobile phone end.

So, it's not just a question of releasing more bands of frequencies and letting us use it. It's more complicated than that..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

Ah.. the main foes of communications engineers: noise, limited power and scarce frequency.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Motion planning for dynamic folding of cloth hands with two high speed robot hands and 2 high speed sliders. - University of Tokyo [video=youtube;Ky8eP6i1RPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8eP6i1RPM[/video]
Now you can submit your outstanding, dazzling, hilarious or thought-provoking short film. JUST ONE REQUIREMENT: Please feature a robot as one of the main characters as or framing devices of...
Let's compile a list of the 10 most nice-to-have PHP projects. We have the best brains in programming that don't have the ideas to for projects. Tickle your brains and...
plese friends gvie me some ideas regording to ,how to found the brack off railway tarcks.............
Friends, We have always thought and heard about hybrid bikes and hybrid cars. Any guesses about Hybrid Housing? ๐Ÿ˜ Read this "Hybrid" Moves Into Housing