Why was Facebook made in php?

The most famous example one gets for php is Facebook. Why is it so? Was there a special reason to choose php over ruby and python?
Also why does Facebook not house the file extensions in URL the way Google does?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Jash Mota
    The most famous example one gets for php is Facebook. Why is it so? Was there a special reason to choose php over ruby and python?
    Also why does Facebook not house the file extensions in URL the way Google does?
    Typically, it's the technology founder(s) or initial engineering team is familiar with. Rest, lot of things get rewritten. Facebook engineering team wrote their own version of PHP and majority of their codebase now runs on HHVM.
  • Muhsin Mohamed Pc
    Muhsin Mohamed Pc
    They are not working with the PHP version that we are working with. They made some changes in PHP core for their own work use.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Muhsin Mohamed Pc
    They are not working with the PHP version that we are working with. They made some changes in PHP core for their own work use.
    That's right. It's called HHVM aka Hip Hop Virtual Machine and they made it available for everyone: HHVM | HHVM

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I suppose in our smartphones we have both of this measurement devices included. The question is, whether this devices are in one electronic chip or separated? Is that possible...
Fridge consume electrical energy to decrease temperature in the chamber where we storage food etc. But in the same time it extrude heat outside to the kitchen. Does Fridge give...
now , in the final year company use to visit colleges and select the candidates for their company. Since, the competition is getting tough so only few got selected and...
I want a topic so that i can do some research on it , to explore something new and to enhance my knowledge and also to add this in my...
Hi fellow CEans, Anyone planning to go to GITEX at Dubai this year? Maybe we can have a CE Meet! URL: https://www.gitex.com/