Why vehicles doesnt use wheels with bigger dia?

I had this doubt for a long time , so i am here to post my question and wait for an appropriate answer.Many friends have said that vehicle tyres which have bigger dia will be running a more speed than a cycle which has smaller dia(consider that both wheels run at same rpm).does it require more power to rum a vehicle with bigger wheel or for a vehicle with smaller wheel?Which will cover maximum distance for the given same power ? If the answer is yes that vehicle with high dia goes further, why companies does'nt use bigger wheels for cars,bus,etc.Does it increases overall weight or it increases the overall length and height?
please clarify my doubt.Also give the appropriate reasons behind the usage of medium sized wheels for vehicles.

Replies

• Velshankar MJ
    Velshankar MJ
    The circumference of a circular object, like a wheel, is found by multiplying its diameter by "pi" ("Pi" = 3.1416). This is the same as 2 times the radius multiplied by "pi". As a car rolls down the road, every time its wheels rotate one complete revolution, it travels forward a distance exactly equal to the circumference of its wheels. If bigger diameter wheels are used, circumference increases so the distance it covered also increases. So if the speed of rotation of the car's wheels does not change, the speed of the car is directly proportional to the wheel's radius. Larger radius means higher speed, and smaller radius means slower speed. Of course, you cannot make a car with a top speed of 100 MPH, do 200 MPH, just by putting wheels that are twice as big on it. The motor has to have a lot more power to keep the larger wheels turning the same speed as before, because higher speed requires more power.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It has passed some light over the question.Thanks Velshankar.I want to know why it was'nt used in race cars if it can give you a lead.I dont think engine does not have power to rotate a bigger dia wheel.I am waiting for more suggestions so that we xan conclude to a overall idea and reason behind the usage.Tagging experts @#-Link-Snipped-# and @wise fool so tgat ee can get a better and exact reason for it.
    There must be a reason for it so thinking again on the topic.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Torque required to start a larger dia wheels from rest to some speed is really high lky

This torque will not be supplied sufficiently by the engine in the starting strokes itself That makes larger dia for wheels really hard to use

But some SUV use larger dia as they are not meant for higher speeds. They are mainly meant for larger handling of weight

SO In my opinion If you want a higher speed car go for a lower dia as torque required will be less. So better pickup

.But for bulky rides you need larger wheel dia that will boost your performance
  • Gomathi Shankar
    Gomathi Shankar
    Let me explain this technically. The equation for the torque, as we all know is

Torque= force x radius

It means, Force = torque/radius.

The torque is developed by the engine and available at the road wheels. Force is required to overcome the frictional resistance and move the vehicle from rest or maintain a speed. By increasing the diameter of the wheel, say, if you are using the wheel that is twice the dia, it means the force is halved. Therefore the engine has to produce twice the torque to gain same speed of the vehicle with a smaller wheel. With a same power output from engine, the bigger wheel will run at half speed. If smaller wheel rotates 100 revs, the bigger will be 50 revs. This equals the distance covered by the wheel for a same level of power output.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Institute of Materials Processing has introduced new brake rotor that could greatly improve vehicle braking systems with new, lightweight, low-cost brake rotor. IMP has developed an aluminum brake rotor that...
Range Rover the king of SUV's still dominate the world with its karismatic look and bold design.Recently Range Rover had released a special black design pack in India with an...
I couldnt get the benefit of overriden methods !! Why overriding is used ? Is it a feature or demerit of java ? Methods declared in any interface need to...
We all knew that the great legends of bikes Kawasaki,Suzuki,yamaha and Ducati.Here are two crazy bikes released from Kawasaki for Indian customers and bike lovers.The monsters to be on Indian...
Hello everyone, I need an 8051 trainer kit. Since I am almost done with the theory, I think it will be good to prepare projects. So can you guys please...