Why to use smaller pulley as driving pulley in belt-pulley arrangement?

hello friends,
i have a doubt regarding this pulley-belt arrangement. i usually found that in this arrangement the smaller pulley is used as driving pulley and larger pulley as driven pulley and power is given to this smaller pulley through generators and any other source, but why? what is the use of giving power to the smaller pulley? what are the advantages and disadvantages??

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    It all depends on the design and the requirements.

the driving pulleys are made smaller than the driven, when the torque has to be multiplied.

if in case the speed (rpm) has to be multiplied, then the driving pulley is made larger than the driven pulley.
  • Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    zaveri
    It all depends on the design and the requirements.

the driving pulleys are made smaller than the driven, when the torque has to be multiplied.
    Okk dear, in that case will u please explain me that what is the use multiplying torque??
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    torque is the force which provides the leverage, for any machine member to start moving.

now in case we are using a motor which is not able to generate sufficient torque, and at the same time there are constraints, that we cannot use a bigger motor to provide the required torque, then it can be multiplied by the method which i already talked about before.
  • Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    zaveri
    torque is the force which provides the leverage, for any machine member to start moving.

now in case we are using a motor which is not able to generate sufficient torque, and at the same time there are constraints, that we cannot use a bigger motor to provide the required torque, then it can be multiplied by the method which i already talked about before.
    ok dear thanks😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, all please let me know what is the meaning of conducted Electro Magnetic Interference(EMI). And pls anybody give me some details for designing EMI filter for SMPS. Thanks, waiting...
dear friends can any one help me in making my cv in more efficient manner can you provide me a format of that
Around the beginning of this century, a new trend started in India - engineers from electrical, electronics, civil, structural, mining, chemical, automobile and other non-IT/Computer disciplines started opting for software...
CEans, after the successful CE Weekend Debate #1, we're ready with our next debate. The details of the event as follows - TOPIC​ ​"Should Non IT/Computer Engineers Work In Software...
Micromax's Canvas phone series is definitely cracking it up and good in Indian smartphones market. Remember the last time, when Micromax A116 Canvas HD got sold out in 15 minutes?...