Why there is a difference?

Have you ever noticed whenever you create a file?
check it's properties..
in that there are two labels named
size
size on disk
Can anyone explain me why there is so much difference between them in terms of amount of memory showed?

Replies

• Guttu
    Guttu
    Size of the file is it's actual size. As you know disks are made up of different file systems. FAT32, NTFS etc. and files are saved in clusters. Each file system has it's cluster size. FAT32 has 8KB and NTFS has 4KB. Consider a file of 3KB. When it is saved on FAT32, it will acquire 8KB as it's the minimum size of cluster. On NTFS it will acquire 4KB.

Also when you allow file compression for NTFS filesytem, Size of file on disk may turn less than the actual file size. You can check the size of WINDOWS folder which is compressed by default.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Thanks for the information Guttu.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    But I have another question then..

As per the above explanation, the difference between the size of the file
    and the size on disc should be small, essentially equal to the cluster size of
    the file system at its maximum. But that's not the case.

In my PC, in some cases of large AVI files, size of the file is around 1GB but size on disc is about 1.1GB. That's 100 mb more, right? Why is there such a huge difference?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    silverscorpion

In my PC, in some cases of large AVI files, size of the file is around 1GB but size on disc is about 1.1GB. That's 100 mb more, right? Why is there such a huge difference?
    I think that are some pointers that points to these files...There is no doubt a file will consume space as per their requirement..on disks
    and extra space will be occupied by these pointers...

CORRECT me if i am wrong
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    silverscorpion

Can you provide a screenshot?

goyal420
    I think that are some pointers that points to these files...There is no doubt a file will consume space as per their requirement..on disks
    and extra space will be occupied by these pointers...

CORRECT me if i am wrong
    pointers are stored in MFT which is not counted in filesize.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Go to Google.com Today and click on I'm Feeling Lucky Button and tell us what do you see there? There is a gift awaiting you Do Check it out guys.
can any body suggest me how can i boot my system with a pendrive? i have iso image of vista and want to boot my system with a pendrive.😒
hello friends, plzzzzzz help me,, i m totally confused between M.tech and MBA .. what should i do after B.tech , i have also done Deploma in CSE. my friends...
The term probably sounds familiar to you. Whenever you scan your computer..then a sound comes warning a trojan horse Encounteres..in Avasta Home Edition And you instantly delete it At least...
This is way beyond, oour quest for interview aptitude puzzels and all. People you need to try this website out. Pretty simple games, but once you are done with trial,...