Why taping are provided only in primary in a autotransformer?

Hi All,

Correct me if I am wrong, why always tapings are provided on lv or the primary side of the autotransformer? If all that is done for easily change over then what is the basic concept behind please give details.

Hoping for some light on this topic.

Vibhor Mittal

Replies

• tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Is the subject "tape" like "scotch tape", "electrician's tape"? Or is it "tap" like "center tap"?
  • lal
    lal
    Its tap ofcourse!
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Then "tapping" would a better choice of words than "taping". However, "tapping" can refer to "tap dancing". So a better way to phrase the question would be:

"I'm under the impression that when a tap is provided on a step-up transformer, it is always provided on the primary coil. Is this true? If so, why aren't taps on the secondary coils useful?"
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    tashirosgt
    Then "tapping" would a better choice of words than "taping". However, "tapping" can refer to "tap dancing". So a better way to phrase the question would be:

"I'm under the impression that when a tap is provided on a step-up transformer, it is always provided on the primary coil. Is this true? If so, why aren't taps on the secondary coils useful?"
    My question is very simple friends, I mean to know why always tapping that are on autotransformers primary side only?
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    The Wikipedia article on autotransformer says that it has only a single winding. Autotransformer
  • harinarayanan
    harinarayanan
    It is for increasing or decreasing the voltage by adding the winding in series direction and in oposite direction.
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    tashirosgt
    The Wikipedia article on autotransformer says that it has only a single winding. Autotransformer
    Hi tashirosgt,

I mean to say that autotransformer which have single winding but having two sides that are lv and hv, where tapping are provided.

Hope it will help you to understand what I want to convey.

Regards

Vibhor Mittal

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There are 2 kind of people in the world - the good people and the Shiv Sainiks What is their agenda? Do they have right to question everyone? Do they...
where do i ask questions?
Some one please give an idea where do i get wml codes for visitor counter. I am working on a wml site development, but not able to create a visitor...
I need ofdm coding using two codes ie using convolutional code as inner code and some other code as outer code and the result ie The BER should as low...
can anyone know from where i get a brief idea about dos.h and graphics.h...????:sshhh: