Why sealed hydrogen gas is used for cooling the rotor in alternators

I visited the thermal power plant they told the in large alternators sealed hydrogen gas is used for cooling the rotor ........is there any reasons behind that and why other gases are not used???????

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Hydrogen is used because it has highest heat transfer coefficient and it also has very less viscosity which helps in reducing the windage losses. (Windage losses are the losses which occur when there is a relative moment between air ( in our case hydrogen) and the moving object).

What is the name of the thermal plant you have visited?
  • Dhayalan.S
    Dhayalan.S
    thanks for your reply

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Spice’s Smart Flo Pace series has got its latest member with the launch of Spice Smart Flo Pace 3. This smartphone has a 5-inch TFT LCD display with a resolution...
i am doing project on smart metering based on plc ...........any idea about this
Before we begin, we would like to clarify this is not a new product from the Cupertino giant, but a one off piece Leica camera designed by Jonathan Ive for...
Friends generally I have seen transformers used in small equipment like chargers etc have windings of naked wire and separation between two layers is done by some fabric material..... My...
Researchers at the Disney Lab have formulated a new technology wherein people can actually experience the texture of a particular object being displayed in the touchscreen, the texture being conveyed...