Why PAN Card Details required before an interview ?

Why PAN Card Details required before an interview ?

Recently I got an interview call from a reputed MNC. Along with my Bio-data they are asking for my PAN Card details.

My question is, why they required PAN details before the interview. Can they track my previous salary details with the PAN number ? Need expert views here.

Answer:

Requiring PAN card details before an interview seems unusual because the recruitment process typically involves evaluating the candidate's skills, experience, and suitability for the job.

Interviewers ask for PAN card from candidate to verify their true identity and prevent fraudulent candidates from appearing for interview.

However, there could be a few reasons why a company might ask for this information:

1. Identity Verification: The PAN (Permanent Account Number) card in India is an essential document for financial transactions and also serves as proof of identity. A company might use it for background checks or verification of identity before proceeding further with an interview. In the recent times, I have seen several cases of fake candidates appearing for interview in place of the actual candidates. Having a PAN card can quickly help companies identify if the right person is being interviewed.

2. Tax Purposes: A PAN card is also needed for income tax purposes in India. If the interview is for a contractual or freelancing position where tax-at-source needs to be deducted, the company might need your PAN card information.

3. Formality and Record-keeping: In some cases, companies might collect PAN card details as part of their formal documentation and record-keeping processes.

However, it's essential to be cautious and ensure you're not sharing sensitive information with untrustworthy sources.

If the request seems suspicious or the company isn't able to provide a reasonable explanation for why they need this information before an interview, it's advisable not to share these details.

Sharing sensitive information can lead to identity theft or other types of fraud.

Remember, until you are formally employed or have accepted a contract, you generally should not need to provide tax information.

As a general rule, only share such personal details when you are comfortable, and it's clearly necessary.

An important point to keep in mind is that the companies cannot draw information about candidate’s past employment information.

For all the practical purposes, PAN card is asked only to verify the information provided by the candidate in their resume is correct.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't think they can do that. It could just be a part of their regular documentation. Yet, someone more informed can reply here.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Nopes they can't track anything with your PAN card. It is just for a security reason for making sure that you are an Income Tax payee! 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    India's Income Tax Department issues a PAN number to every person of the Indian workforce to keep track of the person's financial transaction.
    Every salaried person in India needs to have a PAN card.

The two most important reasons why the company needs to see your PAN card are:
    1. To deduct TDS on the Gross Total Income exceeding minimum tax slab
    2. For Filing Income Tax Return

They definitely CAN NOT track your previous salary details with the PAN number.
  • WARDHAMAN BEDMUTHA
    WARDHAMAN BEDMUTHA
    PAN card details are not required to verify your salary. Pan card is required for identifying person uniquely in their database. Many times your resume will be sent to HR by referrals/consultancies, in order to keep your data /resume uniquely in company's database they need PAN details.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    But arent the PAN details (along with the other stuff) required after you're selected? 😨
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    wardhaman
    Pan card is required for identifying person uniquely in their database. Many times your resume will be sent to HR by referrals/consultancies, in order to keep your data /resume uniquely in company's database they need PAN details.
    That makes sense, but personally i wouldn't be very comfortable sharing this with a company before they select me.
  • reena wani
    reena wani
    hello
    very simple, they want to see your id proof and if you don't have pan card and want to know more about how to apply for PAN card see here.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Network devices till now have been very loclised to the fucntionalities they perform. for example the L2 devices are called switches(MAC address) , L3 devices are called routers (IP routing),...
Duofete 12 is a National Level Technical Symposium organized by Panimalar Engineering College, Chennai. This symposium focuses on imparting technical understanding and expert knowledge to offer everything to conquer your...
this is an excerpt from one of the sites wherein it emphasizes about the depth and usage of instrumentation in the industrial field... ...Trace the roots of all significant automation...
ineed manual soluation to the problem in this book design and Analysis of Fault-Tolerant Digital Systems , W. Johnson can some one help me??
Hello I am in search of a tool through which i can check popularity of a particular link I had tried to search for google analytics api but didn't get...