why on formatting the size of the drive decreases?

Hello

Actually I was curious to know that

why on formatting the size of the drive decreases?

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    simply formating means to remove data from a particular drive
    see there are two types of format ...
    1 quick format
    2 complete format
    when u use quick format all the data will be deleted only however system files remain unaffected but when you use complete format
    it will remove data as well as system files...
    so may be because of this ...

correct me if i m wrong...
    Thank you
  • Chaitali Sumita
    Chaitali Sumita
    goyal420
    simply formating means to remove data from a particular drive
    see there are two types of format ...
    1 quick format
    2 complete format
    when u use quick format all the data will be deleted only however system files remain unaffected but when you use complete format
    it will remove data as well as system files...
    so may be because of this ...

suppose ,say E:drive,i have formatted...
    then if before formatting the size of the E drive is 20.23GB then why after formatting it becomes 20.13GB or something like that?What happens to that 0.10GB?
    so thanks for your answer but the curiosity still persists!
    Eagerly waiting for your posts!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    hey after formatting will compeletely remove the data from your drive and will bring it to initial stage
  • Chaitali Sumita
    Chaitali Sumita
    goyal420
    hey after formatting will compeletely remove the data from your drive and will bring it to initial stage

Sorry i couldnt get it now too...
    let me be more clear with the question..
    say the total size of a drive is 20.23GB..
    now i have some data on that drive and say it occupied 19GB..so i have free memory space of 1.23GB..
    then after formatting the drive ,the data will be lost ....but the size of the drive should be 20.23GB(as expected)...but after formatting the size decreases...means the total size now becomes 20.13GB(say).....it doesnt remain 20.23GB...why???πŸ˜•
    And what happens to that 0.10GB??

Hope my question is clear now!!
    Eagerly waiting for your posts!

Happy Durga Puja!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Is it often happens in your computer
    or 1st time you see it
    if 1st time then my be you system files may be affected by virus and after formating virus has been removed...so it happens
    otherwise i don't think so any reason behind it
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Every drive maintains a inode value for every sector, size of a sector is normally 1kb. These inode values are stored in a tabular form. When you cut,copy or paste, these inode values are used by the process to do the specific work. This inode table took away your 100mb from 20gb. Its not unusual, its the way the drive are designed. More the size of drive, larger will be the inode table.
    In linux you can see the inode value of file, by using command >ln -l
    So don't feel weird when drive shows slightly less space than actually you saw before formatting.
  • Chaitali Sumita
    Chaitali Sumita
    vik001ind
    Every drive maintains a inode value for every sector
    hello...
    Thank you so much for your answer...
    Now can you share some more ideas on inode values?
    And how to see the inode value of a file in Windows XP?:smile:
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    vik001ind
    Every drive maintains a inode value for every sector, size of a sector is normally 1kb. These inode values are stored in a tabular form. When you cut,copy or paste, these inode values are used by the process to do the specific work. This inode table took away your 100mb from 20gb. Its not unusual, its the way the drive are designed. More the size of drive, larger will be the inode table.
    In linux you can see the inode value of file, by using command >ln -l
    So don't feel weird when drive shows slightly less space than actually you saw before formatting.
    hey vik
    I agree that this concept of inode exists in unix as well as linux? but
    does this concept of inode exists in windows..??

πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Concept remains same, a drive (according to the filesystem such as ntfs,fat32,ext3) takes some amount space for file indexing, storing various read/write/execute rights of users, various attributes of files such as hidden,read only, name of file, sectors occupied, owner of file, date create/modified etc.

Chaitali Sumita
    hello...
    Thank you so much for your answer...
    Now can you share some more ideas on inode values?
    And how to see the inode value of a file in Windows XP?:smile:
    I don't think, in windows you can see such that, because windows is not flexible enough. Thats the difference between windows & linux.
    There may be some software which do such things in windows.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi I am facing a problem in uninstalling Oracle 10g. So can anyone of you please suggest me How to uninstall Oracle 10g?πŸ˜• Eagerly waiting for your posts!
Dear Friends, We have come across DTMF, dialogic and voicemodem. BUt we cant make the right choice among these. So I need your help. Thanks in advance
am final yr. student of electrical and electronics branch. i havn't any idea abt project. tell me about some good project for this branchπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜•
Hey, I want to know which software to use if I have to use graphs or pie charts or other such features as a part of my project? my platform...
how to create link between crstal reports and java.. if anyone has idea for the code required do reply..