Why Minix FS Was Necessary For Linux To Develop ?

I would like to know technical reasons on :

- Why Minix (Mini-Unix) FS was needed to develop Linux ?
- Why there is still Minix support in Linux Kernel ?

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    I cant think of anything other than historical reasons. Linux was inspired by Minix and may be, it's just a way to pay respect, though it's highly unlikely. 😉
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Since I'm doing a case study on it what i learnt is : at that time minix system devloped by Andrew tanenbum was used to learn OS in those early days in majority through which Linus torvalds was able to develop LINUX.
    Linux can be thought of as a tree rooted out of minix.
    So logically ,Minix support would be there.😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# But why Minix only, when there was already Unix ?

Edit : My one friend who recently jumped into Linux asked me this question. Never thought about this, so asked it out here. I thought the answer will be unique & something about Linux which I might not know.
    But, the answer is : Linux Kernels were developed in minix system, so obviously Linux have to support Minix FS.
    Holy eff! That jerk trolled me. Sorry for my sense-less question.
    Apologies.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Actually,Minix system was considered simple enough to be understood by students .
    And both minix and linux are considered to be UNIX-like system.
    It was written as a clone of Minix, which was a clone of Unix used for teaching. That was the basis for the Linux design, but the kernel architecture evolved to be far more powerful than Minix ever was.

P.S.: PLEASE NO APOLOGIES as this forum is meant for feeding curiousities and there's no such thing of sense-less question .
    And your questions can certainly help me in my viva. THANKS .👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We know that Rectangular Window has steep drop in gain and so we get ripples in the pass band and stop band. But if we need ideal response for any...
With a lot of autocrats and automobile freaks Recently we have a overflow in the number of threads that tells us a lot about cars, Bikes Autoshows and even other...
As concentration to replace petroleum fuels are now developing all over the globe the next fuel option is bio-fuels when compared with the electric vehicle type. But production of bio...
I'm thinking of a Project on "Robotic arm controlled with the eye movement"...can anyone suggest me about how to start this...I want to do it using cmos camera rather than...
Sony has a lot of expertise in the portable digital music player segment with its extensive range of Walkmans, headphones and speakers. Many of you must have bought either one...