CrazyEngineers
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Pensu

MemberSep 12, 2013

I cant think of anything other than historical reasons. Linux was inspired by Minix and may be, it's just a way to pay respect, though it's highly unlikely. 😉
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Shailaja Tiwari

MemberSep 12, 2013

Since I'm doing a case study on it what i learnt is : at that time minix system devloped by Andrew tanenbum was used to learn OS in those early days in majority through which Linus torvalds was able to develop LINUX.
    Linux can be thought of as a tree rooted out of minix.
    So logically ,Minix support would be there.😀
    Cancel
  • Abhishek Rawal

MemberSep 13, 2013

@#-Link-Snipped-# But why Minix only, when there was already Unix ?

Edit : My one friend who recently jumped into Linux asked me this question. Never thought about this, so asked it out here. I thought the answer will be unique & something about Linux which I might not know.
    But, the answer is : Linux Kernels were developed in minix system, so obviously Linux have to support Minix FS.
    Holy eff! That jerk trolled me. Sorry for my sense-less question.
    Apologies.
    Cancel
  • Shailaja Tiwari

MemberSep 13, 2013

Actually,Minix system was considered simple enough to be understood by students .
    And both minix and linux are considered to be UNIX-like system.
    It was written as a clone of Minix, which was a clone of Unix used for teaching. That was the basis for the Linux design, but the kernel architecture evolved to be far more powerful than Minix ever was.

P.S.: PLEASE NO APOLOGIES as this forum is meant for feeding curiousities and there's no such thing of sense-less question .
    And your questions can certainly help me in my viva. THANKS .👍
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register