Why Linux ? (Why to prefer Linux OS over other paid ones)

Before we start on debating & proving why 'Linux' is better than(or preferable) over Paid OS(Windows,OS X), we should know, I mean we 'must' know about men behind Linux.
Obviously, because our status is about to change from 'normal guy/girl' to 'Geek'.
Ha! that's what they call us (Linux users).

Mentioning two men, Richard Stallman & Linus Torvalds who are big-heads reason behind the evolution of OpenSource OS(Indirectly & directly respectively).But, being honest this Open-Source dream wouldn't be possible without those millions of developers working for Linux & other OpenSource community for free.
Since a decade or more there's beef going on between both juggernauts of OpenSource.
Sounds off-topic,you better read about them ... history was never this amusing.

So, Why Linux ?
1) Open-Source(Freedom) -> Open-source means the software of which source code is freely available, unlike other softwares whose certain rights are reserved. Which means you can modify it as per your wish & no-one is going to point finger on you & hence Linux is also said to be 'Hacker's home'.
Go in 'root' in terminal & govern your OS, yeah it's that easy.

2) Fast & Robust --> Creating faster processor is easy, but developing faster OS is pretty messy & Linux has mastered in that shit. You will never notice a single Linux OS getting hang & showing "not responding" crap, that's the charm of our Tux.
One more example is, it is still noticed that Linux mint works flawless in Pentium 4.

3) Easy Software downloading --> Everyone complains about problems with downloading of software in Linux. You can write a single line of code in terminal & whole package(collection of similar subject softwares.. eg: MySQL,Electronics,Development,Engineering..etc) will be installed automatically. Now, how much easy can it get ?
For people, who are not enjoying this type of installation, #-Link-Snipped-# has introduced "uBuntu Software center", simple as it sounds .. search in software center of whatever software you want & download it !

4) GUI --> Graphical User Interface is always a major reason of attraction towards Linux. But 'dopest' thing about Linux GUI is that you can change it, tweak it, play with it & make it work like you wanna see your OS. Some popular environments are GNOME โ€“ Simple, beautiful, elegant.,#-Link-Snipped-#,Xfce Desktop Environment and #-Link-Snipped-#. Gnome & KDE is very popular now-a-days. Tweak your environment & enjoy OpenSourcing.

5) Gaming --> Most kids are concerned that if they switch to Tux they won't be able to play hardcore blood-spilling Windows games. Well, Our little cute Penguin 'Linux' has everything for you. WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and macOS is the software that bridges gap between Windows & Linux, and lets the linux user to play Windows games/softwares in Linux system. If you are steam user, then uBuntu is 'the future'. #-Link-Snipped-#

6) Updates --> Regular updates over bug fixes in kernel, GRUB & OS are available. You don't need to download 700 MB to 4 GB shit everytime, just use update manager or terminal to update your system.Something like 'patching' & new contents will be available to you with minimal downloads.
Simple, Easy & FREE !

Food For Thought :
-Why to use pirated Operating system when Linux itself is giving you everything for FREE !?
-Most of Opensource/Free source programs are ruling over paid apps (one example is VLC with Opus - killer!, LibreOffice same as Windows Office )
-Why worry about Virus ? Tux is invulnerable to Viruses(This is God-like feeling)Eff you trojans hehe ๐Ÿ˜‰
-Why worry of getting detected by Windows/OS X system server for using pirated OS ?
-Why to pay for OS which don't let us tweak/edit/change the UI as per our style ?

This is an era of Open source & Free softwares.Enjoy Open-Sourcing.
Feel the 'Freedom'.

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    It's invulnerable to Virus, is the main Reason why I love it ๐Ÿ˜
  • oprime
    oprime
    Abhishek Rawal
    -Why worry about Virus ? Tux is invulnerable to Viruses(This is God-like feeling)Eff you trojans hehe ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Linux is vulnerable to virus/trojans too.
    It is just that the hackers are not that interested in Linux at the moment since it is not that popular. It is the OS of choice for web hosts and in those companies, there are very good firewalls. So the hackers most probably do not bother that much.

Also if some vulnerability is found, more than likely someone will report it very soon and the software contributors will plug it very fast. That is the beauty of open source software. Anyone can contribute.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    oprime
    Linux is vulnerable to virus/trojans too.
    It is just that the hackers are not that interested in Linux at the moment since it is not that popular. It is the OS of choice for web hosts and in those companies, there are very good firewalls. So the hackers most probably do not bother that much.
    Agreed on that,sir.
    There do exist Linux viruses,but due to less number of normal users in linux,hackers prefer targetting huge community like windows.

There are many other reasons like SElinux,Root permissions,distro flavours(No single malware is capable to harm all the flavours of linux),Firewall,etc. why it is tougher to damage linux distro.

oprime
    That is the beauty of open source software. Anyone can contribute.
    Oh! is it so ? .... Sir! It's like Opensource community work ?
    Oh! Thank you very much.Thanks for sharing me knowledge,good sir.
    I didn't knew it,I am very new in linux,Infact I have just installed linux 2 hours ago in my PC.
  • oprime
    oprime
    Abhishek Rawal
    Oh! is it so ? .... Sir! It's like Opensource community work ?
    Oh! Thank you very much.Thanks for sharing me knowledge,good sir.
    I didn't knew it,I am very new in linux,Infact I have just installed linux 2 hours ago in my PC.
    Yes. It is fully OpenSource.
    If you want to contribute, you can visit the Ubuntu Launchpad. Search for unpatched bugs. You can patch the bugs yourself and submit the code to the repository.
    There are many more such places where you can contribute.

By the way, Linux is the name of the kernel only, not the OS. We have gotten used to calling the OS by the same name.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    oprime
    Yes. It is fully OpenSource.
    If you want to contribute, you can visit the Ubuntu Launchpad. Search for unpatched bugs. You can patch the bugs yourself and submit the code to the repository.
    There are many more such places where you can contribute.

By the way, Linux is the name of the kernel only, not the OS. We have gotten used to calling the OS by the same name.
    Hmmm I got it sir !
    I didn't knew this too !
    Can you explain me more about this term "kernel" ? Sir! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • oprime
    oprime
    Kernel is the interface layer between the hardware and the application programs.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Kernel (Computing)

The Linux Kernel [online book which explains how the Linux kernel works]
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Actually Our teacher told us that Linux/Unix based OS works on interpreter type thing, and as soon as some virus type code is detected, it do not execute it and thus, Linux type OS are invunerable to viruses where as in Windows, it works on compiler like thing and all the statements are executed in one go, so virus is much common there...

Could you please tell me, what's wrong in this, sir please?

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Here are some important points you may want to consider :

• Linux systems are by no means infallible, but one of their key advantages lies in the way account privileges are assigned. In Windows, users are generally given administrator access by default. Such is not the case with Linux.
    • Viruses and worms often spread by convincing computer users to do something they shouldn't, like open attachments that carry viruses and worms. This is called social engineering, and it's all too easy on Windows systems. Whereas, Before any real damage could occur, a Linux user would have to read the e-mail, save the attachment, give it executable permissions and then run the executable. Not very likely, in other words.
    • In the Linux world, countless users can see the code at any time, making it more likely that someone will find a flaw sooner rather than later. Not only that, but users can even fix problems themselves. Microsoft may tout its large team of paid developers, but it's unlikely that team can compare with a global base of Linux user-developers around the globe.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# +1 for Precise explanation ๐Ÿ‘

#-Link-Snipped-# : AKD mentioned it all.But apart from what she mentioned, the reason why Linux is more secure is due its Open-ness,as Linux OSes are Opensource it's next to impossible to hide the Virus.Also,Linux has highly dedicated non-profit community working for it.Even if a small Malware is detected, it will be fixed instantly.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Thanks both of you ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Sanyam Khurana
    Actually Our teacher told us that Linux/Unix based OS works on interpreter type thing, and as soon as some virus type code is detected, it do not execute it and thus, Linux type OS are invunerable to viruses where as in Windows, it works on compiler like thing and all the statements are executed in one go, so virus is much common there...

Could you please tell me, what's wrong in this, sir please?

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
    Who ever told you this has no idea about internals of computer. Take his every word about computers with a pinch of salt henceforth.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Anand Tamariya
    Who ever told you this has no idea about internals of computer. Take his every word about computers with a pinch of salt henceforth.
    Sad to hear this, that our teacher told us all wrong things ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sanyam Khurana
    All our academics is like that What we see as an error in the younger age is considered really feasible in the next?

Chuck it and learn from Here I personally enjoy my stay here in the past 8 months
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Sanyam Khurana
    Well, you guys are blessed to be born in era of internet. You don't have to take ANYBODY's words as gospel truth. There's lot of resources available on the net to learn. Learn to capitalize on that.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yes, of course ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is there anyone here who have matlab installed in their computer? I need a little help. I need a couple of images to be converted into hex array and stored...
Microsoft's released the latest Windows 8 operating system and those who've upgraded their computers with the latest Windows will definitely want to free up some space on the hard disks....
I peeking out of office window, it was raining and then noticed how people were getting wet inspite of having an umbrella. There was a design flaw in the umbrella...
Hi i need help for paper publish topic related to dbms
is there any thumb rule for assuming the thickness of walls and percentage of steel required for construction of .1mgd capacity service reservior