why linux is different than other operating systems?

We all know differences between window and Linux operating systems

Guys whenever someone ask for more secure operating systems then most of times linux is preferred .

I don't understand why????? what makes linux different from other after as upto my knowledge operating systems funda's are same for all

then why linux if security is concerned?

One thing that i know it doesn't allow execution of exe file?

Is there anything more which forces someone to switch to linux?

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    goyal420
    One thing that i know it doesn't allow execution of exe file?
    Linux does not allow the execution of .exe files because the it doesn't know how to run an exe file. A window's exe file is formatted differently (Portable executable). There are of course there are executable files in Linux, their extension is .out and are of different format (Linkable format) than what the windows use. Hence linux doesn't recognize exe files.

goyal420
    Is there anything more which forces someone to switch to linux?
    The fact that Linux distributions are free and safe is enough for anybody to switch over to Linux. It's a matter of personal choice though, both OS's follow different philosophies.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, you'll start loving Unix based systems only when use them. I too was paranoid about it but when I decided to give it a try, I was amazed. The first and most important thing - its free for everyone; and it is powerful enough to take care of your desktop computing needs. It's got all the software available for free which can be a great cost-saver and helps in preventing piracy. Graphics is more awesome than what you get on Windows based system and all popular software is available on uBuntu (my favorite flavor). In fact, this post comes from Firefox on uBuntu. I've even installed Opera 10.06 Alpha (the latest build) on uBuntu and it simply rocks!

Then there are no viruses. Oh, and why do you need exe files? Of course, if you wish to Run your Windows programs; then there's WINE that lets your run them from within uBuntu. Technically; Linux (read Unix) is totally different from Windows. I'm not the right person to talk about the technical differences between the two operating systems; maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can talk about it.

I'm using uBuntu 10.04 and the thing I love the most about it is super-rapid boot time: Of about 18 seconds; as compared to about 40 for my Windows Vista.

I found couple of links that might throw some more light on Windows Vs. uBuntu:-

1. Some Reasons Why I Choose Ubuntu over Windows | sheehantu
    2. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Then there are no viruses. Oh, and why do you need exe files?
    No no sir i don't want to run any exe file

I just want to ask if i take security from viruses into my mind then Is there something more in linux that provide protection from viruses

or it just remove some features of window like execution of exe file or any other script files like.vbs etc?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    goyal420
    I just want to ask if i take security from viruses into my mind then Is there something more in linux that provide protection from viruses
    Most of the malware & viruses are written for Windows. Secondly, the security levels in Linux are much powerful. That's the reason Linux is also the preferred Operating System on server side. As a matter of fact, even CE runs on Unix powered server.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    :-|

You must be knowing about UAC in Windows ( user access control levels) which were way too high in Windows Vista and in WINDOWS 7 you can adjust them right? In Linux, you are not the super user.
    To do anything from terminal you need to do a su and then work, which means any automated virus cant really run until they have access privileges to do an su and run,

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

LANSING, Mich.— Cloud Computing analyst, www.CloudHarmony.com, performed a comprehensive analysis of twenty (20) Cloud Computing Vendors CPU performance. Cloud Harmony benchmarked more than 150 different cloud server configurations focusing this...
UAE's leading telecom operator, Etisalat is in talks with Reliance Communications to acquire 25% stake. The worth of the deal is estimated at INR. 18000 Cr. Rumors are that Etisalat...
Source: Delicious Founder Joshua Schachter Leaves Google Founder of one of the most popular bookmark sharing service, Del.icio.us is quitting Google: Twitter / joshua schachter: today is my last day...
As HP flexes its muscles to acquire the EDS group for about $12.5 billion; the company has said that it will fire over 9000 employees over the next few months....
Samsung's upcoming Android phone which currently runs Android 2.1 (and will soon be upgraded to Android 2.2) is ready for launch in about 110 countries. According to Korea IT Times,...