Why is series motor used for speed regulation?

Hello all, I am an Electrical and Electronics Engineer from Hyderabad. I want to know why is series motor used for speed regulation? I mean, why we don't use shunt motors? Please explain.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Shunt motors current gets divided this causes some severe negative effects on the motor as current drops across the motor

And in the case of series motor the Current is constant and only the voltage is dropped

You may know lesser the voltage speed contorl is done in the motor
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    I believe your question is "why series motor is used in applications where varying speed in required ?"

The speed-torque characteristics of DC series motor is such that at start(N=0) the torque given by motor is very high.A high starting torque is necessary to put most of the varying loads into motion like locomotives ,cranes,hoists ,etc.

As speed is increased the torque goes on decreasing,this is exactly how the load also requires torque.
    Hence series motors are used in applications where speed regulation is required.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In the near future, longer-lasting batteries could run on virtually anything sugary, including tree sap or flat soda pop. Scientists say these sweet new batteries could operate three to four...
read more... https://www.gizmag.com/tosy-speaker-robot-dancing-mrobo/24433/
free Microsoft tools to make life easier... *The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool-Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool can remove a laundry list of known malicious software *Best Practices Analyzer-Once you’ve...
And countdown ends, so let's begin here. Beforee starting,I am mentioning some types of displays used in mobile phones : LCDs, AMOLED, Retina display, TFT-LCD, Super-AMOLED, NOVA, OLEDs, IPS-LCD &...
hi everyone i'm working on a project about Co2 sensor but one of the problem i'm running into is finding a 3.3v sensor that have specification of :0ppm-10000ppm, operating temperature...