Why is FarmVille so popular?

Anybody who has been or is on Facebook has apparently stumbled across FarmVille more than just once.

People who are addicted to playing FarmVille, think the game is stupid and boring, but say they just can't stop playing.

I know you would be wondering why so many people play "FarmVille" if it isn't fun?

The simplest reason is advertising. "FarmVille" is advertised like crazy all over Facebook, so it's always in everyone's face. This advertising is incredibly effective, because it is so immediate: You click on the ad, and you're playing the game.
FarmVille's parent company, Zynga, isn't the only one advertising it though. Users are constantly advertising the game to their friends, too, through "viral" channels on Facebook.

The less obvious reason that millions of people are addicted to FarmVille is that there's a sense of social obligation to play. If you don't play FarmVille, your FarmVille friends suffer.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I havent played it yet! Even I havent started it ๐Ÿ˜€

Durga suggested me not to start ๐Ÿ˜
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I think another reason is its real life implementation. Like when it says a crop will be ready in 12 hours it takes exactly 12 hours. And you can also use things from real life like tractor, seeder, fuel.....etc. But its also true that you cant play it after a certain limit it feels boring.

I used to be an addict of this game, but now i haven't done farming since months.....๐Ÿ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Peeyush could you change your email address to gpeeyush (at) ymail (dot) com.
    You Email address can be easily be taken by spam bots! just a suggestion though!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ES, ๐Ÿ˜€ I suggested not to , as it is a prefect time-waster, sleep-eater and social life-killer.
    As far as I can see for FV to be so popular is the concept of sending virtual stuff to people who don't play it. Its literally inviting them over to play the game, say something like a goat/sheep or what not. Even if I am not interested to play, I might as well be constantly reminded to take it up due to the gifts what we receive and then comes the concept of social obligation, where once you start playing you continue it. I knew two fellow classpeople of mine, who competed to socre more on FV and spent many nights sowing , reaping and sending gifts , working on others fields and what not.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Yep Durga you are correct!!
    So I didnt start it and will not start ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    @ES thanks for the suggesttion...i changed it....๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, these games sure are time eaters, and sure are boring enough.. But guess what, this is going to be the next big thing in the internet landscape, very soon.

Social gaming is everywhere, and it's gonna become an even more integral part of our internet traits..

Watch this:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    This reminds me of Travian. Remember when we had a CE team playing that? Crazy time wasting stuff.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    I once played it. Boring, nonsense stuff.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    i too played it once as my one friend is asking me to play. but i am not interested much in that now.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have never played it.
    I heard about it from friends. Selling cows online seems boring.
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    I had got game request by one of my friend but i am not interested in these time pass games.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

San Francisco, CA, September 28, 2010 โ€“ AOL Inc. [NYSE: AOL] today announced that it has agreed to acquire TechCrunch, Inc., the company that owns and operates TechCrunch and its...
Look at this video, simply amazing! [video=youtube;VcHMEbJUcTY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcHMEbJUcTY[/video]
This escalator follows free-form curves (but not convention!) and offers a better "cost per usable step" than your typical moving stairs. It has been patented in Europe, USA and in...
North Carolina's Charlotte Motor Speedway is working on building world's biggest HD screen, 200 foot long and 80 foot tall. This giant screen will weight 165,000 pounds, cover an area...
Actually i have a question in my mind from many days but now i decided to post it here... The question is when we type "=rand(200,99)" in MS word some...