Why Indians Don't Buy Online : Debate

I stumbled upon this article on Pluggd.In : #-Link-Snipped-# . The article tries to find out the reason why Indians do not prefer purchasing online. The article starts with stats saying there are ~10 million online users in India and out of them only 2-3 million purchase non-travel related stuff online. There could be several reasons including unwillingness to use the credit cards online (because of security issues), lack of 'touch' and so on. But the author states that the main reason is that we are not 'assisted'.

The author says that Indians love to be assisted in everything. At a shop, we want the salesperson to 'assist' us make a decision. At Coffee Shops, we need someone to serve coffee to us and so on. The author says, if we are not assisted; we're almost handicapped! The author compares the online habits of the Americans who prefer self-service with everything - and 'ecommerce' is natural to them.

My views-

I believe the author wants to copy the American buying habits here. Each country has its own 'way' and if Indians aren't following Americans, it shouldn't be showcased as 'wrong'. America doesn't have enough people to 'assist' each other and 'self-service' is natural to them. In India, we've a ton of people who're willing to help you and 'assistance' is natural to us.

Why should Indians go the American way in adopting eCommerce? Why not make the 'Cash On Delivery' a default option instead of blaming people that they don't spend online?

Your thoughts, please?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In spite of malls, mom and pop stores are still the norm even in metros like Bangalore. There is an element of personal touch in such transactions even with the push cart people coming to the door step with vegetables or the chap, who trundles a cart for ironing clothes. May be I am old fashioned.
    We can evolve our own methods as needed. We need not follow 'phoren' methods in toto.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    My views are different for eCommerce.
    For me, its not ONLY about assistance, may be its the NOT so good, services. Services at India are not comparable to US or other countries that are keeping out eCommerce percentage in lower side. Also, I do agree that for the popularity of eCommerce security should be imbibed with high standards.

There is nothing wrong in eCommerce; If you are getting the same quality goods, in cheaper rates, than why to buy in person?
    Just think of few other facts;these online goods comes directly from warehouse and takes minimal space to occupy till they are sitting at seller's place in comparison to when shopkeeper opens big fancy shop and adds-on additional burden to consumer which they spend on Air Condition bill, furnishing and sales folks salary. Also, it takes un-necessary space to open a shop when that shopping can be done online. Doesn't that make sense?

For me copying some good habits from someone doesn't make us small?

-CB
  • robo_warrior
    robo_warrior
    10 million online user but I think that more than 5 million use internet for repetetive jobs of opening facebook or email account and even fewer ever googled a term ,you cannot expect such user to open an online store and buy stuff even if the process require few clicks and products are woth buying and are at a lower price
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We of course aren't talking about whether eCommerce is good or not; but I'm more concerned about the 'assistance' part. I've been using eCommerce for years now and I'm still not sure whether I'll purchase ready-made clothes online. I've done it for custom T-Shirts on CE; but of course I was in total control of the quality.

Services in general may not be comparable in India and the US, but take a look at Flipkart or Jabong. They are 'super' and I'm not saying for the heck of it. I've experienced their service and I'm a tough customer to please.

The debate is about Indians requiring 'assistance'. I believe we should be completely fine with it. Yes, I need a sales guy to tell me what all varieties are available in their shop and get recommendations from him than roaming all over the shop trying to discovering their new stock all by myself.

I even prefer buying my grocery from my local grocery store than from Big Bazaar because it's foolish to travel several meters just to pick up that new hand wash. I'd rather stand in front of my grocery shop owner, who knows me by name and doesn't insist that I pay right there at that time and give him the list of the grocery I want to buy. I'd then chat with him while someone packs the items for me. I think it's more luxury!

eCommerce has its own advantages. But then people do have complaints against Amazon and eBay too.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    There are the factors
    1.as #-Link-Snipped-# said, how much percentage use E-Commerce.
    2.Trust on second party: Until and unless you do E-Commerce 5-10 times you will not trust that you will not going to loose your money. How many of you can transfer your fee online/pay INR.30k while there are option of draft/submit through Challan(submitting money into account and have receipt as a proof)?
    3.On clothing part if you want to buy Peter England/Lee/XYZ company jeans, all of them will feel like different fitting and size, for same number.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My Name is Bharat District: Tando Mohammad Khan Sindh Pakistan I am Studying Engennering Physics in Sindh University Pakistan I am intersted in tracing mobile no becuase today'd Generation is...
Name:My name is Ekta. I am a 2nd Year IT engineering student. I love reading books of genres like classics, crime-fiction etc. Agatha Christie, Charles Dickens and Louisa May Alcott...
Hi. I am a final year IT Student. I want some help to finalize my final year project idea. I have this cool but seemingly impossible idea, an android application...
hello friends my name is parimi lalith phani harsha vardhan aged 18 years . i am completing my b-tech (presently in 2 year) in sphoorthy engineering college(affliated to JNTUH).
After One big Hike, and two price cuts in last two months, now its turn for another price Hike. This hike is not as big as the previous one was,...